Skip to content

Help me make an NPC villan for my D&D 5e game

BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
Hey guys and gals!

so i'm currently in my 3rd try to finish a long running D&D game correctly (meaning without it going off the rails) and i need help. One of my recurring villains needs an upgrade to 5 e but i have no idea what class to make him. in 3.5 he was a fighter/druid but with the changes to the game since 5 e hit, it doesn't really fit him much. I want to see what you guys think his class should be based on his backstory.

first off while he was alive he was the son of a tribal leader of rural desert dwelling elves and on of his father's purchased brides a human woman from one of the major citys in the area. He was training to become the tribes next shaman when he was abducted and brainwashed by a necromancer and was sent to a vampire coven, so he could be trained to kill after being embraced.

fast forward a bit, he now serves as one of the necromancer's spies and assassins though due to his upbringing he still has a rather strong connection to the natural world and animals, making him prefer the rural parts of the world rather than cities (which he considers nothing more that giant food stores.

so here's the deal. he is NE. I'd like him to have combat melee ability he prefers his killing to be done at close range so he can watch his prey die, stealth and some control over nature. I was originally going to make him a ranger, but decided against t as most of their spells are based around ranged combat. is there anything in 5 e that is similar to the ranger from AD&D where you can get some stealth, some nature control with an animal companion preferably and decent combat skills, so i can make him kind of a tracker assassin?

ty!

Comments

• dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    um... can you create a class just for him ?
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190

um... can you create a class just for him ?

i suppose i could but not sure where to start
    had an idea, would someone help me figure out how to convert the Stalker ranger class from BG into 5th ed?
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I mean the easiest fix here, would be my assumption that he has the vampire template added as well in 3.5 right?

Skills are a *lot* looser in 5e than they are in 3.5, so you could still make him stealthy even while being untrained in stealth - or just pick straight fighter, but modify him to get stealth as a class skill (with 18+ DEX, assuming your players don't have wonderful stats too, should be more than enough tbh).

You could also just give him an item that makes him stealthy, or maybe he just has a stockpile of invisibility potions; that'd make sense for somebody working for an uber powerful wizard too, or he could just turn himself into mist - that's pretty stealthy I imagine.

Not to mention that fighters get Survival (what he'd use to track people) as a class skill choice. So, that comes baked in as it were.

The only thing I'd worry about for continuity is if he regularly used druid spells or divine spells in previous games; at which point you could just make him a cleric if you don't like what has been done with druids in 5e or you could just eschew certain requirements of the druid class present in 5e to keep the spell casting intact, your players don't have to know ;)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You could also use the "magic adept" feat to give a fighter a smattering of druid spells, or simply use the guidelines in the DMG for monster creation. Many 5e characters don't have PC classes.
    thanks everyone! i'll take a look :)