Skip to content

The first game had all these books potentially raising the character's stats to 19.

Now BG2 doesn't let you go above normal amounts when making a new character but an imported character could have several 19s. It's sort of an interesting thing on how to role play because one can edit in such values in a game editor on the assumption you would've used those to boost your stats.

It makes me wonder if I should just leave the stats at max or edit them to pretend I used these books to raise my stats.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Or just speedrun the original to grab the tomes and pantaloons. You do it enough you can run through the entire plot in a few hours tops.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    It's entirely up to you. Personally, if I really, really want my BG2 character to have stats of 19 I just create him/her in SoA, export to BG1, do a speed run to get the tomes I want and then export the character back to SoA. It still sort of feels like cheating to me but at least I make some sort of effort.

At the end of the day it's just down to your personal feelings/rules/ethics etc.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will. ;)
    I couldn't just start playing BG2 without finishing BG1, but if this does not bother you, then why not edit stats. ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always play full trilogy runs, but I use mod classes, so I can't transfer my character. I have to use EEKeeper if I want my charname to be as they were in BG1/Sod.
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    I think you should do it for real by playing through BG1 at least the first 2 or 3 times, but after that, you can just edit the stats.

I actually played BG1 through with about 8 different chars before I ever got BG2, so I had a large collection of legit guys to do BG2 2 with.
  • MakeAthkatlaGrtAgainMakeAthkatlaGrtAgain Member Posts: 132
    edited December 2017
    dunbar said:

It's entirely up to you. Personally, if I really, really want my BG2 character to have stats of 19 I just create him/her in SoA, export to BG1, do a speed run to get the tomes I want and then export the character back to SoA. It still sort of feels like cheating to me but at least I make some sort of effort.

At the end of the day it's just down to your personal feelings/rules/ethics etc.

I'd just edit it in a game editor. If I did BG1 as how I'd roleplay I'd do it, I'd do the full length.
    Artona said:

An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will. ;)
    I couldn't just start playing BG2 without finishing BG1, but if this does not bother you, then why not edit stats. ;)

I never go through all of BG1 without when I go to BG2, I think "You know I want to try to different character plan than I had in BG1" and sometimes restart it early on wanting to redesign the character again.

I notice Viconia goes up 3 points in wisdom (there are 3 wisdom books) and Jaheira goes up 3 in dex (only 1 dex tome). So maybe the game assumes you gave them to those NPCs. I dunno. There's no roleplaying of fighting over loot like what happened in the book, The Hobbit.

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    FYI the NPC stats change between BG 1 and BG 2, tweaks anthology actually has a section where it gives the option to set them to whichever version you prefer. It's not a huge deal but most of the original NPC's get a 1 or 2 point improvement by default in BG2.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Or do like me.. finish BG1 several times with one char and have 23 strength or whatever, by the time you start BG2 :D
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Khyron said:

Or do like me.. finish BG1 several times with one char and have 23 strength or whatever, by the time you start BG2 :D

What, not going through BG2, Watcher's Keep and the Hell Trials before you export back to BG1? Pssh.
  • Pantalion said:

Khyron said:

What, not going through BG2, Watcher's Keep and the Hell Trials before you export back to BG1? Pssh.

BG1EE would let someone import a level 40 character?
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077

Pantalion said:

Khyron said:

BG1EE would let someone import a level 40 character?
    Yeah, but IIRC most HLAs (and high-level spells) won't work.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    In a game that cheat, with at least 2 unkillable chars (both thieves) and the rest (edvins amulet and so on) , a game that you play, alone or with friends, against the computer, where you can spend a full day to roll stats or take the first dice roll and go with it, why do you worry?

As long as you have fun and dont make the game too easy for your level of knowledge and skill i dont see any problem.

Imo the only problem is when whe accept the cheats of an Authority, the developers in this case, as legit, just cause them come from that Higher Power, without even realizing that are blatant cheats. A shield that makes battles against the powerful beholders so easy? Come on! And sotm, rov and the rest...
    But as we are talking of a game as long as we have fun...
    What frighten me is the Authotities cheating in rl and so many people dont even noticing it.
    But that last thing is maybe slightly ot, i apologize.

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I usually prefer to play BG2 and when I do play BG1 I don't feel like speed running it. So I just create a new character in SoA and edit the stats if I think it will make the run more enjoyable.

Oh, the fond memories of my very first attempt at stat editing back in the days. I had a character with all the tomes in her inventory and then used export and multiplayer parties until I had a character with 25 in all stats. That was a fun run.