Skip to content

Educated estimations on 1.0 release window?

omedon666omedon666 Member Posts: 48
edited January 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I've had a very lovely and fast moving week into discovering that NWN:EE will be a thing and then discovering that it's being tackled by a company that will most certainly follow through. Let me tell you, after years watching "indie company with a dream" fail to deliver time and time again, it's great to meet a team that has some notches on their belt and see that they can certainly deliver!

SO.... that said... speaking timewise and of expectations... how long is this hype train looking to last?

I know, I know, beta is beta, you can't put a number on "enough testing" while it's still ongoing, but to ask those that have been through this with Beamdog before, is it ok to ask if we're looking at months... years... weeks?

Are there any indicators that can give us a release cadence? I'm wondering how hyped to be among our gang waiting to build our D&D world!
Post edited by omedon666 on

Comments

• MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    They specifically addressed this in their live stream. Based on how modern games live or die (with a few exceptions) based on early Steam reviews, Beamdog is going to be extremely cautious with the 1.0 release (or even the early access release on Steam).
  • omedon666omedon666 Member Posts: 48
    MadHatter said:

They specifically addressed this in their live stream. Based on how modern games live or die (with a few exceptions) based on early Steam reviews, Beamdog is going to be extremely cautious with the 1.0 release (or even the early access release on Steam).

Soooo.... years, then?

• SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    omedon666 said:

MadHatter said:

Soooo.... years, then?

Hey its totally off topic but were you not really active in Shards Online pre-pre-pre kickstart discussions and testing with me (I was probably not under this name though) from years back? Like before they even did their kickstart?

I swear I remember talking with you and their community manager a ton about neverwinter nights and having some great discussion- but I moved on after the first failed KS (but backed it and was the first KS project I got behind) and then the total change to the game.

On topic- I have no clue =P
    omedon666

omedon666 said:

MadHatter said:

Soooo.... years, then?

Hey its totally off topic but were you not really active in Shards Online pre-pre-pre kickstart discussions and testing with me (I was probably not under this name though) from years back? Like before they even did their kickstart?

I swear I remember talking with you and their community manager a ton about neverwinter nights and having some great discussion- but I moved on after the first failed KS (but backed it and was the first KS project I got behind) and then the total change to the game.

That was me, yes. I believe I remember you too! :)
    SaintPhillip
  • SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    omedon666 said:

omedon666 said:

MadHatter said:

Soooo.... years, then?

That was me, yes. I believe I remember you too! :)
    Awesome man- Been a really long time. Glad to see you here!

If you get a persistent world up or go play on one (or just want to kick around on some adventures) let me know and ill join you.
    omedon666
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Generally speaking I think hype trains are an often well meaning but ultimately destructive thing to most projects. I think it's better to be realistic about things and people shouldn't get upset if a developer only does as much as they can. Ultimately you can buy a product but you can't buy a dream, the thing you get is limited by the constraints of reality.

On the streams Trent seems to have some big plans for the game and to paraphrase him he would like it to get to a point where nobody would want an NWN3 because the EE will be it. However right now you only get what they've already released but you can speculate that the schedule of big features will be quite slow. It's still very much the same product it was 10 years ago, you still need heavy community modding to make it better, a lot of the things those mods and client extensions addressed are now minimum requirements for some. There's no guarantees you'll get what you want unless it's already in the release notes or the update notes though.

I think there are some things they might want to explore to accelerate the initial catch-up development. For example integrating and contracting existing community content, outsourcing some of the bigger programming and content tasks, also crowd sourcing from the community.
    edited January 2018

Generally speaking I think hype trains are an often well meaning but ultimately destructive thing to most projects. I think it's better to be realistic about things and people shouldn't get upset if a developer only does as much as they can. Ultimately you can buy a product but you can't buy a dream, the thing you get is limited by the constraints of reality.

Honestly, if it came out as it exists right now only with updated, supported, intuitive multiplayer connectivity (really the only thing missing in the existing headstart build) me and mine would be 100% fine with that.

We just want to know when... ish.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    omedon666 said:

Honestly, if it came out as it exists right now only with updated, supported, intuitive multiplayer connectivity (really the only thing missing in the existing headstart build) me and mine would be 100% fine with that.

We just want to know when... ish.
    The game has been out for 15 years.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own work, from playing the official campaigns from start to finish or using the ample amount of pre-existing user made mods. All of this solo or in multiplayer.

The vast majority of the updates NWN:EE will see is behind the scenes for content creators and not people who just play that content.

Just play and enjoy. You have 15 years worth of content to catch up on.
    As voidofopinion says there is nothing stopping you from hosting an NWN EE server today or hosting an NWN 1.69 server. There are some trade offs from a technical standpoint that limits using the very advanced features ppl have developed for 1.69 for NWN EE but if you're not using extensive NWNX features, NWShader, or client extensions to enhance your server then you can use NWN EE today.

I would personally guess the official release does not happen for at least a year, based on the amount of really good enhancements that the 1.69 community has done, and what NWN2 has which NWN could really stand to have too.

As voidofopinion says there is nothing stopping you from hosting an NWN EE server today or hosting an NWN 1.69 server. There are some trade offs from a technical standpoint that limits using the very advanced features ppl have developed for 1.69 for NWN EE but if you're not using extensive NWNX features, NWShader, or client extensions to enhance your server then you can use NWN EE today.

None of us have been able to establish a single multiplayer connection to each other since the seven of us acquired the game a week ago. We'd assumed that "headstart is headstart" and haven't pushed too hard for answers for that reason, but we continue to be baffled by how people can currently play multiplayer. I played 15 years ago, and am at a loss to advise anyone I bought the game for, as I am also completely cut off from functional multiplayer for some reason that none of us can solve.
    There may be some issues, if you've verified that your CD key works and you can connect to the server list or any other PW then you can rule out an authentication issue.

I think there's a thread about making the server visible on the server list in the PW section of the forums. Someone was having difficulties with that so you could try to follow those steps and see if it works. I believe the issue is with modern firewalls and routers needing to be tweaked to allow it to work.
  • HipsterHipster Member Posts: 39
    I found that pws that don't apear in the server list can still be entered by opening the direct connect window and entering the ip adress of the server. Oddly enough, a couple of servers that were there disappeared from the server list. But in my favorites list, they still appear active. So you can still join servers if you logged in before.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    My educated guess says it already came out on dec 25th.

I never said I was smartly educated.
    tbone1voidofopinion
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Staran said:

Sounds like you graduated from the same school district that I did.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    tbone1 said:

Staran said:

The same one I'm from?

tbone1
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

tbone1 said:

Staran said:

The same one I'm from?

No, the same district that gave us the current US vice president. Though most of my education was in the school district that gave us the world's first train robbers and John Mellencamp.