Skip to content

Dual Class proficiency refresher?

LabyrinthodontLabyrinthodont Member Posts: 20
Hello everyone.

I’m currently planning a future play through with a fighter dualed to mage at level 7 or 9. My question is about weapon proficiency. It looks like at level 7 you could have high mastery (++++) in a weapon. I was wondering, would you have to dual at level 9 to get grandmastery, or could you add a fifth pip after regaining your fighter skills and hitting mage level 12?

I kind of like the idea of having latent mage skills manifest after Irenicus’ dungeon, but dialing at 7 seems more convenient.
Post edited by Labyrinthodont on

Comments

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    you can add weapon pips later.
    though you have to be Level 9 to grandmaster a weapon (does not have to be the fighter class though)

in other words , if you Dual at lvl7Fighter right away. you HAVE to spend the first pip in one of the 4 mage weapons.

your second mage pip would come at mage lvl6, but if you stop leveling the mage at 5 and save xp up to 135000 you jump right to mage lvl 9 unlock your fighter levels and can use that lvl6 pip to grandmaster your weapon.

otherwise you have to wait for mage lvl 12 (750kxp) to grandmaster your weapon.

on a side note being a Fighter/Mage you might wanna consider making Quarterstaff's your Main Weapon , nothing more Scary than CHARNAME with Staff of magi and Keldorn with Carsomyr melting magic protections left right and center.

Labyrinthodontsarevok57
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited January 2018
    also you can use the staff of the ram to have good damage and better thac0, with only 7 or 9 levels of fighter later you will need it, and you can use 2 staff mace to dw under IH, as you will never will have GWW, and the staff that becomes a spear to deal with the few enemies that are immune to crushing, probably only some golems.
    EDIT: not 100% sure that the dw staves trick works in EE, if you want i can test and tell you about.
    anyway magi + ram + staff dealing piercing is plenty enough to deal with every situation, and dw is only useful in few situations as the added damage of ram compensates for the 2 attacks you loose when ihasted.
    EDIT2: a +4 staff available right out of chateau irenicus is also really useful as ram and magi will probably will need your party to level up a bit as tough fights are needed to get them.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

also you can use the staff of the ram to have good damage and better thac0, with only 7 or 9 levels of fighter later you will need it, and you can use 2 staff mace to dw under IH, as you will never will have GWW, and the staff that becomes a spear to deal with the few enemies that are immune to crushing, probably only some golems.
    EDIT: not 100% sure that the dw staves trick works in EE, if you want i can test and tell you about.
    anyway magi + ram + staff dealing piercing is plenty enough to deal with every situation, and dw is only useful in few situations as the added damage of ram compensates for the 2 attacks you loose when ihasted.
    EDIT2: a +4 staff available right out of chateau irenicus is also really useful as ram and magi will probably will need your party to level up a bit as tough fights are needed to get them.

there is literally no enemy immune to crushing, but alot to piercing,
    DW Staff-Mace is still possible though its "only" a +2 weapon and investing 2-3pips in DW just for that is quite the waste , since the mage can "just about" grandmaster 2 weapons. (also i only know for certain that BG1EE has 2 Staff Maces in the game)
    if EE did not change it clay golems are immune to slashing but stone golems are immune to crushing.
    so a GM in staves is the only one that can use the preferred weapon to fight all the enemies in the game or at least the ones a player usually fight against.

i know that DW the staff mace is not the best option in most of the situations, but it can be marginally useful in some situation, like if you have to quickly erode a mage's stoneskin, to deal with multiple weak foe like the many spiders summoned by a certain drow in the lower levels of the graveyard and so on. an added advantage is to use the weapon you are GM in while using a shield for the fights where tanking is relevant, like in some dead magic areas where a mage can not protect himself with spells, in such situations for a F->M equipping an armor and a shield can be useful, staff mace is the way to go. nothing that you can not live without, but if i have a fighter with pips in staff, usually my fmt, i carry the 2 staff maces you find in soa in my bag of holding. even if he uses ram or magi, according to the situation, the 99.9% of the time and before the staff you buy from ribald.

your second mage pip would come at mage lvl6, but if you stop leveling the mage at 5 and save xp up to 135000 you jump right to mage lvl 9 unlock your fighter levels and can use that lvl6 pip to grandmaster your weapon.

otherwise you have to wait for mage lvl 12 (750kxp) to grandmaster your weapon.

interesting choice if he duals at 7
    i probably would chose to dual at 9 and delay GM.
    the 1/2 apr and the dmg and thac0 boost of GM are important, but you only delay it, even if for a quite long time.
    but a lev 9 dual has more hp, really useful, and a better thac0. about the latter let's say that in the beginning of SoA you get plenty enough dualing both ways, in ToB or earlier you start to suffer compared to a single class fighter, thac0 0, or even a plain cleric (10), as you get 12 dualing at 9 and 14 dualing at 7.
    for the lev 7 dual in end game your mage thac0 will be better of the one from fighter levels, you have still the GM boost so you will hit more than a plain mage, and for more dmg, but...
    also the 2d12 more hp will help.
    ok, you can use tensor, at a cost, and in that phase you will anyway be much more powerful as mage then as physical dmg dealer, but there is a long phase where the 2 more thac0 and 13 on average (24 if you "cheat" to roll the max one or you don't play hard) hp are relevant. even in the end the more hp can be the difference between die for an ADHW or survive. and a mage can protect himself easily from it, but not always do...
    Labyrinthodont
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only enemy that i am aware of that is immune to crushing damage is shambling mounds, the only enemy that i can recall that is immune to slashing weapons is clay golems
    AerakarProontgorgonzola