Skip to content

Interesting Star Wars commentary

13»

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Lightsabers and blaster shots are apparently supposed to be plasma and not laser. I'm sure that doesn't make any sense either, but at least it's something you can say to be the cooler nerd at parties when someone points out the slow lasers.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2018
    It's amazing how many people who object to the science of Star Wars betray a lack of understanding of science themselves.

The opening battle takes place in the gravity well of a planet, not in zero-g, and the Dreadnaught is big enough to have it's own micro-gravity field (larger than most asteroids). But none of this is relevant because it was established in the original film that our laws of physics don't apply. (If you want to see how starfighters should move, watch Babylon 5).
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

You know, y'all, I didn't share that article to start any arguments. I found it interesting that it appeared in a local newspaper, and I was curious what people here might think about what he had to say.

I think he had some other important points besides the "Why are all the men losers?" comment,

The fact that the author says that (which is patently untrue) betrays that he is pushing an anti-feminist agenda, and therefore discredits the entire article.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited January 2018
    @JoenSo If lightsabers are plasma, they would burn somewhere around 4,000 degrees. Just turning one on would kill you, everyone around you, and more.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Luckily, the blades are contained in a very scientific force containment field that will make all your doubts and worries go away.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    JoenSo said:

Lightsabers and blaster shots are apparently supposed to be plasma and not laser. I'm sure that doesn't make any sense either, but at least it's something you can say to be the cooler nerd at parties when someone points out the slow lasers.

Or you can out-nerd even that by pointing out that Chewie uses a bowcaster, not a blaster.
    Fardragon said:

The opening battle takes place in the gravity well of a planet, not in zero-g, and the Dreadnaught is big enough to have it's own micro-gravity field (larger than most asteroids). But none of this is relevant because it was established in the original film that our laws of physics don't apply. (If you want to see how starfighters should move, watch Babylon 5).

More to the point, the Dreadnaught (and other SW ships) must have an internal source of gravity--every bridge officer stands perpendicular to the axis of thrust. Even without thrust the center of gravity of the ship would still be behind them, as starship bridges are generally portrayed at the front of the ships.