Skip to content

Tips for a new Coop Game

RealTJRealTJ Member Posts: 2
Hello,
me and a friend want to start a new coop playthrough. Since we placed BG1 a lot in our youth and seen it to death, we though starting directly in BG:EE Legend of the Sword Coast. Then play all the way through BG2:EE Tob. Ist it a good idea, or should we skip Legend of the Sword Coast and go directly to BGF2:EE SoA?

For our group composition, we though about 4 man party, withoug the NPC's, that would be more for single player run.

We thought about a
Ranger/Cleric
Pure Mage
Kensai/Mage
And something in the way of a Thiefs (Tips are appreciated)

We don't really want to powergame, we just want to see the game and have some fun.

Comments

• thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited January 2018
    Looking at your party composition, a fun way to possibly play things would be to play classes where every single one of them is melee focused (or maybe just 3 of the 4) in terms of weaponry and dual wielding. That way your party leader in a roleplaying sense could yell "Charge!" and then everyone with their dual wielding madness goes in guns blazing like you were using swords in the wild west.

A couple of them could definitely involve dual classing to make this happen.

Ranger dual classed to Cleric

Kensai dual classed to Mage

Swashbuckler dual classed to Fighter or Mage

All 3 of those would get at least specialization with weapons and all of them would be able to max out Two Weapon Fighting quite nicely. It also blends in a lot of spellcasting and fighting abilities for the charge into battle. The Swashbuckler could be dual classed in the 1st game and give you enough thieving abilities to get your party through the annoyances and dangers you need Thief abilities for, and losing out on backstabbing isn't all that important with the way the party could be played.

The 4th character could be your wild card, maybe a party leader type that has the Charisma and tells all the other guys what to do (maybe they could be the female character of the group). Maybe instead of a pure Mage they could be a Skald bard kit or a Sorcerer instead where they'd be more charismatic than focusing purely on Intelligence, a Sorcerer with their versatile spells to back the others up or a Skald singing their song to aid the dual wielding charge and give them inspiration.

As long as you're not afraid of burning out while playing the games, then I'd start fresh at level 1 with BGEE. Being a 4 person party from the start you may not have to worry as much about saving and reloading early on, though the Kensai would obviously start out squishy in terms of not being able to wear armor and equipment that would help them out a lot through the 1st game. However to make up for that, both the Ranger and the Swashbuckler could dual class in the 1st game and get their first class's abilities back while still in the 1st game, so you wouldn't have to worry too much about your party being too weak in the middle of your playthrough at any point which makes it easier to have fun IMO.

Oddly enough, the party setup kind of reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where 3 of them ended up dual wielding, while the 4th one ended up using just a single weapon.
  • RealTJRealTJ Member Posts: 2
    > That way your party leader in a roleplaying sense could yell "Charge!" and then everyone with their dual wielding madness goes in guns blazing like you were using swords in the wild west.

That is a good tip, we may end just playing that. Kinda on the fence with the dual classing though, since that is really min/maxing and i'm not sure if we are able to pull in the first game. But still a good tip to consider.

> The 4th character could be your wild card, maybe a party leader type that has the Charisma and tells all the other guys what to do (maybe they could be the female character of the group).

We had a similiar idea with 3 dwarfs and one gnome disguised as a dwarf.

Two of the dwarfs being Dwarven Defender and one being a fighter/cleric. The gnome would be mage and kinda would get the Dwarfen Group in a ton of trouble, for seeking out better magic and getting more and more powerful.

Three dwarfs: "Something about Gaxif seems odd. Never met a casting dwarf before".
    Gafix: *readjust the beard* "Guys what are talking about? The runes are strong today, listen to the runes guys"
    Three dwarfs: "Well i trust the runes, so ..."
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited January 2018
    RealTJ said:

> That way your party leader in a roleplaying sense could yell "Charge!" and then everyone with their dual wielding madness goes in guns blazing like you were using swords in the wild west.

That is a good tip, we may end just playing that. Kinda on the fence with the dual classing though, since that is really min/maxing and i'm not sure if we are able to pull in the first game. But still a good tip to consider.

> The 4th character could be your wild card, maybe a party leader type that has the Charisma and tells all the other guys what to do (maybe they could be the female character of the group).

We had a similiar idea with 3 dwarfs and one gnome disguised as a dwarf.

Two of the dwarfs being Dwarven Defender and one being a fighter/cleric. The gnome would be mage and kinda would get the Dwarfen Group in a ton of trouble, for seeking out better magic and getting more and more powerful.

Three dwarfs: "Something about Gaxif seems odd. Never met a casting dwarf before".
    Gafix: *readjust the beard* "Guys what are talking about? The runes are strong today, listen to the runes guys"
    Three dwarfs: "Well i trust the runes, so ..."

Heh, seems like your playthrough could be quite interesting.

Well the main reason I mentioned dual classing is because if you multi class you can't be a class kit unless you were to mod your game (which is kinda cheating and powergaming itself). If you wanted a Swashbuckler and Kensai involved for example you couldn't be a multi class with them, only a dual class.

In addition to that I mention the Ranger dual classed to Cleric cus you can pretty much dual class at level 3 as the Ranger and be good to go with the Cleric levels for the rest of the way, so it can be done fairly early during your campaign then you don't really need to worry about it anymore. Just thought it may be a fun element to all three of them dual classing while the last one remains the same class like "Who needs a profession change? I don't, hahahaha." Figured the abilities they have would be fun to play for you guys and trying something different that maybe you hadn't considered going for before.

In the first game you could dual class a Thief or a Ranger and it'd be perfectly viable, and you still keep the hit points from your first class's levels so they wouldn't be made of glass.

Of course, hardy dual wielding Dwarves are perfectly legitimate as well with their Axes and Hammers, smashing things to pieces while the Gnome twirls a flame in his hand and laughs his butt off.