Skip to content

Questions about Jaheria romance

MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
So, I've just started BG II EE, after finishing the first game, and I have a few questions about the Jaheria romance.

I did a lot of googling, and there seems to be stunningly little information, detail-wise.

How exactly is the start of her romance triggered? I'm not looking for spoilers, or what I should say to her in dialogue, but rather how the first dialogues with her trigger at all, and also any requirements there might be for her romance.

On the wiki it said a neutral alignment is required, but I've not read that anywhere else so I'm not sure thats true - my character is chaotic good.

Also, is it something I can miss?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There are no special triggers aside from being the correct gender, race, and alignment. What those are for Jaheira, exactly, I don't recall; but I think she is one of the more liberal ones.

If you match her taste, the romance will start on its own. No special triggers etc. are required to initiate it, it will happen fairly soon after you start the game and play for a bit. The only time special events come in is later down the line, where some annoying requirements like resting outdoors etc. are required to trigger romance progression; but that's fairly later on. Nevertheless, Jaheira's romance is notorious for bugging out because of those triggers, so you might want to compare a few walkthroughs or FAQs to get your bearings for those later stages.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Welcome to the forum, @MrNooby.
    MrNooby said:

I did a lot of googling, and there seems to be stunningly little information, detail-wise.

There's at least one pretty detailed downloadable guide to the BG2 romances. Erm ... ah, here it is: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_tips.php.
    MrNooby said:

How exactly is the start of her romance triggered?

She starts it herself, by talking to you, sometime in Chapter 2. Romance dialogues can occur in Chapters 2, 3 and 6, and then it finishes for SoA ... it can take a long time to reach the end of the SoA romance. There are then further romance dialogues in Chapters 8 and 9 in ToB.
    MrNooby said:

I'm not looking for spoilers, or what I should say to her in dialogue, but rather how the first dialogues with her trigger at all, and also any requirements there might be for her romance.

She'll only romance male humans, halflings, half-elves, and elves. If your protagonist is female or is any other race, the romance won't happen.

Unlike the other romances which are less fragile, Jaheira's romance will be immediately (and permanently) terminated if you ever kick her out of the party, even temporarily - so don't! It will also be wrecked if she ever dies or gets turned to stone, even if you immediately resurrect her or turn her back to flesh.
    MrNooby said:

On the wiki it said a neutral alignment is required, but I've not read that anywhere else so I'm not sure thats true - my character is chaotic good.

That's false information, she's not picky about alignment. Chaotic Good is fine.
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated.
    Actually had another question. From what I can gather, if you have multiple romanceable NPCs in your party, you will get dialogue from all of them regarding romance, until you express interest in one of them. Is it obvious when you are doing so? For instance, one of Aerie's dialogues, all but one of the dialogue choices for my character made me sound like an ass, so I really only had one choice, but I don't want to accidentally fuck up my romance with Jaheria.

Secondly, you mentioned that the dialogues occur in certain chapters - if I pass by a chapter without exhausting all of those dialogues, am I screwed?
    edited December 2015
    MrNooby said:

Actually had another question. From what I can gather, if you have multiple romanceable NPCs in your party, you will get dialogue from all of them regarding romance, until you express interest in one of them. Is it obvious when you are doing so? For instance, one of Aerie's dialogues, all but one of the dialogue choices for my character made me sound like an ass, so I really only had one choice, but I don't want to accidentally fuck up my romance with Jaheria.

At first, you can follow more than one romance at the same time, but in due course one or other of your romantic interests will require you to choose between them, at which point the romance you choose will continue and the other(s) will be permanently terminated.
    MrNooby said:

Secondly, you mentioned that the dialogues occur in certain chapters - if I pass by a chapter without exhausting all of those dialogues, am I screwed?

No, the romance dialogues don't mind whether they're in Chapter 2 or 3 or 6. But you need to finish the full sequence before leaving Chapter 6, because unfinished SoA romance dialogues won't carry forward into ToB.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, there's a whole lot of misinformation about romances flying around.

For the record, in my current game I've "kicked Jaheira out" three times, spent an age with her as a corpse, and had her petrified once, yet Jaheira's still making with the lovetalks.

The key trick with removing any romance from the party is to leave before they can initiate dialogue with you to whine about being removed and when you do take them back, say "didn't mean it". She never picked up on the fact that I left her a week before coming back.

This way I also managed to carry Aerie's lovetalks through to her actually being mentally healthy and friend-zoned without the two of them having a You Must Choose argument. Jaheira was "sleeping in a different room" on the roof of the Coronet.
    Thanks again for the info guys, much appreciated. Also, Gallowglass, I checked the link you posted, and when I downloaded it and opened it, the text was all unformatted, that is, no paragraphs or anything. I'm sure it's to do with what I opened it with (usually notepad works just fine), is there a specific program I need to have it formatted correctly?
    MrNooby said:

I'm sure it's to do with what I opened it with (usually notepad works just fine), is there a specific program I need to have it formatted correctly?

Yes, it's a *.doc, not a *.txt. It formats correctly in WordPad or MS Word.

@Pantalion - that's a neat exploit for cheating the intended mechanic that Jaheira's romance breaks if you kick her out of the party. I'll bear it in mind next time someone asks for advice ... but nevertheless, it's still a cheat, so I won't use it myself.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    How to end Jaheira's romance? I tried "stow it Jaheira", but she just started to lovetalk me again.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Just kick her out of the party. End of romance.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I don't want to ruin Harper's hold quest, though.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You don't need to romance her for that. The only thing the romance does is stretch it WAY out by adding a couple real time timers, and changing the final reward. You can kick her out, and immediately re-add her after she gives the "leaving the party" dialogue.