Skip to content

Is There Any Way to Override Hak Scripts Without a New Hak?

BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
This is an issue that came up when I was helping someone. They're using a hak which changes some spells, but we're trying to NOT have a few of the changes. Basically want 95% of the changes. Unfortunately, changing the script in the module is overridden by the script in the hak. Is there any way around this short of adding a new hak with higher priority?

Comments

• MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    Is there a reason you couldn't change the script in the offending hak or remove it altogether?
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    The hak was made by someone else and is hosted on the vault. Module is built around it at this point, removing it would be worse, probably.
    If it’s just a spell script though? You’re already planning to override it.

What I’m saying is to either remove the script from the hak and move it to your module or put an updated version back in the hak. Not remove the hak entirely.
    We don't own the hak. Modifying a local copy of the hak wouldn't change what other people download from the vault.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2018
    If you are an MP server, only the version of the script stuff on the server matters.

It's reasonable to have a build team version of the Hak that you do own.

We have a server Hak that's empty for players, but full of all kinds of overrides for builders plus server.

Dave
    shadguy said:

If you are an MP server, only the version of the script stuff on the server matters

Dave more succinctly says what I was trying to say.
    I appreciate the thought, but it's not a MP server. This is a SP module.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    OK. I think you answered your own question in the first post, then: "adding a new hak with higher priority"

-Dave
    Well, my question was "Is there a way to AVOID needing to add a new hak with a higher priority?" Sounds like you're saying the answer is "no."
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    have you just tried to put the original scripts in the override folder to see of that overwrites the hak scripts?
    Then every person playing the module would have to do that, unfortunately (and remember to remove the scripts for other modules).
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2018
    Override won't work because module hak > patch hak > override.
    Top hak is your friend here.
    That's a shame. All right, thanks.
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86
    Yeah, that's one major drawback to putting scripts (and blueprints) into hak files. It requires an extra hak file to just change what's in that hak that everyone downloaded.

Also, you can't just delete those things from your module as long as the module uses the hak, because the next time you load the module those scripts will be put right back where they were.

---------------

Now, if the only thing that hak file is giving you are changed spell scripts (and not 2da files, spell icons, or anything else), you could always export the spell scripts you want from it, remove the hak, and add the spell scripts directly to the module.

Now, keep in mind this is from experience with the 1.69 toolset. The NWN:EE toolset may or may not behave exactly the same.

1. Open the script-containing hak with nwhak, select the spell scripts (both .nss and .ncs files), and export them to a folder somewhere.
    2. Open the module in the toolset, remove the script hak from the module. Save under a slightly different module name (just in case).
    3. Close the toolset, restart it, and reopen the module.
    4. Copy the exported script files into your modules/temp0 folder (this has all the resources in the module).
    5. Edit a script in the toolset. Doing so should refresh the list of scripts in the module. Your exported scripts should show up now, and you should be able to edit them however you see fit.
    6. Save.

1. Open the script-containing hak with nwhak, select the spell scripts (both .nss and .ncs files), and export them to a folder somewhere.

The hak only has .ncs files : /

• raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    edited January 2018
    Maybe they should change the order of
    module hak > patch hak > override.
    to
    override > Module hak > patch hak

cause override is something I want to override no matter if it is from the orginial rules or hak pack
    just a suggestion. :)
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,282
    @raz651 LOL unfortunately that would break hundreds of existing custom modules. Compatibility is one of Beamdog's goals I believe.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    remove the scripts from hak, add them into module, then you can edit them freely

assuming this is multiplayer, in singleplayer where you cannot control player's haks you must use top hak
    I already mentioned this was single player further up in the thread, unfortunately.