Skip to content

Make Gems Useful

looterlooter Member Posts: 12
One of the thing's I thought was kind of odd was that in BG1/2 most gems are pretty much useless vendor trash, and not really even vendor trash worth carrying (much better trash out there). I know a few of the gems actually have a purpose, but most dont. I have heard that in the PS/XBox versions of BG they are used in crafting to add effects to weapons, but I have never played Dark Alliance myself so maybe someone here can elaborate a bit on that. I think it'd be neat for gems to have a similar use in BG:EE DLC, what are your thoughts? This would obviously be more of an idea for the DLC or expansion content and not something to alter in vanilla BG:EE.
Post edited by looter on
Spjuv3rnNimz

Comments

• TiggrrTiggrr Member Posts: 25
    Some already have uses in BG2 - rogue stones, king's tears and diamonds from memory.
    looterch4os1337
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Not forgetting a bunch used in those bard gloves
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    some of them really have a very low value, but i still loved keeping a LOT of gems with me when I had the space for it :) it made me feel soooo rich :D
    looterleeux
  • looterlooter Member Posts: 12
    I forgot to mention this as an idea for the DLC and not something that should be altered in the vanilla BG:EE for consistency reasons.
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    I don't know about crafting, but I could see some limited gem use when casting spells.

This would be for BG2:EE, but maybe you could increase the effect of a particular color of prismatic spray if a gem of that color was destroyed during casting (or perhaps increase all of the effects if you destroy a Rogue Stone).

I would keep their use relatively light, though - almost as easter eggs as opposed to core mechanics. I'd hate to have to go gem hunting in order to do something I felt was necessary for my gameplay experience.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Maybe they should bring back material component costs for spells - could be used as a balncing mechanism for wizards at higher levels
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    This would fundamentally change the game too much, and if it's official DLC, then it's official. This kind of stuff is what mods are for IMO.
  • ichkannsichkanns Member Posts: 4
    A lot of these item changes seem to just be trying to turn this into Diablo II. Let's not do that.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    "Ohh... I'm not much help for you. I'll just
    sit with the pretties and watch them sparkle."
  • bboyhoodbboyhood Member Posts: 11
    Ion stones are gems of use.. i believe
    looter