Skip to content

What are some great shows you're hooked on?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Does anyone else watch "Copper" on BBC America? It's definitely one of my favs. I wouldn't think that I could get into two period pieces, but both "Copper" and "Hell on Wheels" on AMC are both just awesome (though I think the 2nd season of HoW is a little weaker then the first). Obviously Walking Dead starts again next month and I'm pumped about that... Then we've got Game of Thrones starting back up in March. The Newsroom on HBO is a guilty pleasure, but Aaron Sorkin's writing is way too mushy and ridiculously skewed... I heard he's gonna tighten it up in season 2, so we'll see.

Just curious what other people are watching.
Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    Mostly HBO, Showtime and AMC; Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, Californication, GoT. Dexter is coming pretty soon, not a masterpiece, but it's not bad. What else; Shameless(US), The Killing(US) - the only good cop drama series. Magic City was nice, and The Hour from BBC. Nurse Jackie; gotta love Edie Falco. And of course Family Guy. Now I'm just waiting to see what Seth MacFarlane does with The Flintstones.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    Grimm, Games of Thrones (got to wait for Season 2 to com to Blu Ray now as i don't have HBO), and Revolution.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Breaking Bad. I would say "you guys have no idea how excited I am to see the rest of the final season," but everyone else is as hooked to the show as I am. We're in a veritable state of mouth-frothiness.
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    I like Peep Show and Mitchell and Webb. Adventure Time is fun. I'm kind of burnt out on all the cop shows, like wallander/killing/thewire/broen/sebastian berger. If i wanted to see more about the dark side of human nature, I'd leave my house instead of watching foreign television all day.
    Actually, on TV I'm only watching the news.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'd recommend watch the shield if you are tired of cop shows.
    Breaking bad is cheesy, but a guilty pleasure.
    Boardwalk empire/Madmen are very good.
    The thick of it is probably my favourite show, but you probably wouldn't get most of it unless you live in the UK.
    The newsroom is just plain awful, and this is coming from someone who was a fan of the west wing.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Most of shows mentioned above are great indeed, but nothing beats "The Wire" imo.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Game of thrones !!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    Game of Thrones and Community.

Edited: Dr. Who
    Post edited by elminster on
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Are we allowed to throw in Scabwatch 2012?

I mean, NFL. Sorry, I get them confused. Scab refs are terrible.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Dr.Who, Walking Dead, Game of thrones, Bill Maher and hockey(well maybe not yet with this bloody strike) are all the tv i watch. I dislike the rest of what tv has to offer nowadays. I'll follow revolution for a while and see where the show goes.
    edited September 2012
    @Gilgalahad, what was up with that last Doctor Who episode this week? poorly written ending :(

But yea, editing my post to include Dr. Who.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Is this topic only to discuss current shows?

I definitely love Game of Thrones, and also The Newsroom. And I will have to wait for both to come out on DVD for Season 3 GoT, and Season 2 TN, because I had to cancel my HBO subscription to make my budget work for this year.

I love Bill Maher's show too, although, now I can't watch it anymore.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Supernatural, 'nuff said
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Besides some of the ones already mentioned, I can't wait for Portlandia to get back on the air.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Sad to say, probably the only series I still devote time to regularly watching is American Idol, lol. It's become passe for many viewers by now, I know. But I still enjoy the format and the horse race aspect. The show's imitators haven't really grabbed me. And I have little time to devote to TV to begin with, so this is the show in that genre I watch.

I pretty much just surf now. I mainly watch PBS (other than politics), Discovery, A&E, History, Nat Geo, and Science Channel.

I'll watch most anything about science, nature, and history. I particularly enjoy the Universe series--anything related to space/cosmology.

I enjoy the survival shows like Survivor Man, Dual Survival, Man Vs. Wild (not renewed, but undoubtedly Bear will have a new show somewhere soon), and Man, Woman, Wild (not renewed).

I get a kick out of the three storage auction shows (each on a different network), as well as Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Love Antiques Road Show.

I often seem to get drawn in by Monster Quest and UFO Files, lol. Despite them ever finding any hard evidence.

I will admit to a guilty pleasure too of sometimes taking in the Regular Show. I always seem to have some fare of this kind in my TV diet (eg, Simpsons, Family Guy), and this show is now filling that slot.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Revolution looks promising. I also enjoyed Continuum, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, Dr Who. Yeah so mostly fantasy and science fiction FTW. Through I also enjoyed Boardwalk Empire and the Borgia's.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Blakes7 said:

Revolution looks promising. I also enjoyed Continuum, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, Dr Who. Yeah so mostly fantasy and science fiction FTW. Through I also enjoyed Boardwalk Empire and the Borgia's.

Ugh. I had a separate thread on Revolution saying how dissapointed I was with that program. Maybe I've gotten to use to HBO acting/production values... I deleted it off my DVR.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Am enjoying Dexter atm.

Am enjoying Dexter atm.

I'm just now into season 4... Got all of em on Amazon... It's great!
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    @HaHaCharade Yeah, still assessing whether or not I like Revolution as I've only watched the first episode.

*Spoiler* Not sure I like how they found the person they were looking for literally almost the moment they enter the city.

However the premise has me intrigued and it will be interesting to see what they do with it.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    @Khamill I agree, The Wire is probably the best TV show I've ever watched (Season 2 was my favorite).
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Watching the wire, over and over :) ruins all other shows unfortunately :P
    @Moomintroll, one day I'll get into that; I've tried before, twice. Yet I doubt it'll pass The Sopranos.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    I watched "Last Resort" this week by accident and i didn't think it would interest me but it was surprisingly good! Very suspenseful and edge of your seat drama for practically the whole 40 odd minutes it ran for. but it's like they tried to cram TOO much into the 1st episode though, i guess tv is no different than video games where the publisher cares only about the bottom line before deciding to continue a series(in tv's case...viewership). but still good.

Watching the wire, over and over :) ruins all other shows unfortunately :P

I just got into that. It is really good.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    edited October 2012
    @elminster You'll get consumed in no time:)
    Homeland was pretty good as well, I think there is a second season on now.
    I have seen first episode of Newsroom, it might be pretty good too. Anyone have seen it ?
    Post edited by Khamill on
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    Drama: Person of interest, and awaiting the return of Southland nad BBCs Sherlock
    Sitcom: Go on is quite fun so far, I also like New Girl and The Middle
    Animated: Adventure Time is awesome, and I am waiting the return of Archer and MLP:FM
    Other: Vexed was fun, dunno what category it really fits in.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    edited October 2012

Am enjoying Dexter atm.

I'm just now into season 4... Got all of em on Amazon... It's great!
    @HaHaCharade I'm on season 4 too! Its started much better than 3, with 1&2 really good. I'm amazoning seasons 5 and 6 soon and will with 7 when it is out. Favourite and best shot/acted show for a good while. Plus lots of blood splatter!

I'm on season 4 too! Its started much better than 3, with 1&2 really good. I'm amazoning seasons 5 and 6 soon and will with 7 when it is out. Favourite and best shot/acted show for a good while. Plus lots of blood splatter!

I'm almost done with Season 5 now! Really good stuff, I agree. I had a friend tell me Season 5 sucked but it really hasn't. In fact, none of the seasons have been real letdowns. If I had to pick one that I liked the least (not including 6 and 7 which I haven't seen yet) it'd be season 3, just cuz the storyline with Jimmy Smits goes on and on and on and you can pretty much see how it will end.