Skip to content

Are creature animations portable?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
I hear that PST:EE is 90% or 99% hard-coded, and if that's true, there isn't much reason for me as a modder to look into its workings. Hopefully some of the new functions will make it to BG:EE eventually - Near Infinity already lists new opcodes, only they don't work yet. But what about creature animations? There isn't any obstacle to copying over BAMs from Torment to the other games, is there? Beamdog, do tell, are you going to update the list of animations that is currently shared between the BG games and IWD (only not all games have all BAMs) with new entries from Torment? Some are already present, like a few fiends, but not, for example, bariaurs or gronks.

Comments

• LassalLassal Member Posts: 4
    It would be great to have human, tiefling or zombie animations from pstee in bgee.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    Porting PST:EE animations over to BG:EE should be doable in a matter of minutes. It has already been done with the classic games.
    For the classic games at least the PST animations were significantly larger than the BG ones, meaning they'll require re-sizing (which is a none issue with NI's new bam editing functions). Not sure if that is still the case but if it is there probably won't be an official port.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    We already have a few animations from Torment in the basic set, like cornugons or hags.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2017
    My understanding is that Planescape uses a slightly different angle for its animations. So while you can export them to say the BG series they might look off in comparison to other creatures.
  • lujolujo Member Posts: 236
    I'm rather interested in the other way around. Is it possible to scale up the animations from other games and not have them look too off in Torment?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Yes, you can use BamResizer or the NI bam resizing tool to scale the animations as necessary. The animation angle will still present slight aesthetic issues, but that's pretty minor.