Skip to content

Spell question: Harper's call spell

AldericAlderic Member Posts: 37
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Jaheira gets a resurrection spell called the "Harper's call" and iirc, the spell changed the character's alignment to true neutral. Does this work as per the spell description? Also, will it turn the alignment of evil characters AND let them stay in your party even at the highest reputation? For example - if you travel with Edwin, he happens to die in battle and Jaheira resurrects via Harper's call: now, if the above is true, you could keep him, despite a rep of 20, right? I guess the same goes for good NPCs to be kept in an evil party.

Has anyone tried, or just tested that?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Doesn't work like that in BG2
  • AldericAlderic Member Posts: 37
    What part doesn't? The alignment change from the spell or keeping NPCs despite the change?
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    Alderic said:

What part doesn't? The alignment change from the spell or keeping NPCs despite the change?

Alignment change.

• AldericAlderic Member Posts: 37
    Ah, I see. I guess it would brake the game if it worked as per the spell description. Thanks :)
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I'm generally anti-druid, but Harper's Call makes Jaheira marginally less useless as a divine caster. She still doesn't get access to the restoration spells she really needs, but at least she can raise dead, and she's the only druid who can.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    jhart1018 said:

but at least she can raise dead, and she's the only druid who can.

Technically I believe druids can they just have to use up an hla to be able to do it. I believe they get mass raise dead.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I'm not patient enough to drag a druid (other than Jaheira) through the game to get him/her that far.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    jhart1018 said:

I'm not patient enough to drag a druid (other than Jaheira) through the game to get him/her that far.

That sounds like a personal problem.

(xD I'm just messin)
    edited November 2013
    Edit: Since making this comment I have seen the light of Cernd. He is great. You all should try him :p
    Post edited by elminster on
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    jhart1018 said:

I'm generally anti-druid, but Harper's Call makes Jaheira marginally less useless as a divine caster. She still doesn't get access to the restoration spells she really needs, but at least she can raise dead, and she's the only druid who can.

Restoration spells aren't needed when you prepare enough Negative Plane Protections.

Just saying.

Also, druids can use divine scrolls. It's worth toting around a handful of lesser restoration scrolls, even if you're a cleric. Frees up spell slots for more useful things. Like Negative Plane Protection, so you don't get level-drained in the first place.

Druid's arbitrary 14->15 grind is why Jaheira and any multi-class fighter/druid sucks. It's already a big enough leap from 14 to 15. While it does effectively give you 7 levels worth of spells when you finally do hit it, it won't be for 6 million xp.

@SandmanCCL I agree with you about jaheira's level gap, the divine scrolls and negative plane protection, though I will point out that Npp only lasts 5 rounds.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    @elminster its short durration has always irratated me, I typically use limited wish - grant me protection from undead rather than cast it on characters individually (the demon wraith battle comes to mind). By the time you've cast it on everyone its worn off on half of them. Madness.