Skip to content

Any chance that Overhaul will be able to bring back old voice-actors for BG2:EE ?

krikkertkrikkert Member Posts: 26
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Any chance that Overhaul will be able to bring back old voice-actors for BG2:EE ?

Aww, getting Heidi Shannon back to do more voiced dialogue for Jaheira would be so cool!! Just love her voice-acting for Jaheira.

Not to mention some of the other characters and their voice-actors. Bring 'em back for more voiced dialogue says I !

:D

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    For what dude, there is 12 years since the old game was released, many grew old and their voice changed a bit, imagine a new banter following an old one and a drastic change on the NPC voice for that new banter? Unfortunally Beamdog couldn't use new actor voices for the old characters, but part of an EE project should be the risk of renewal, can give a good result or not.
  • krikkertkrikkert Member Posts: 26
    kamuizin said:

For what dude, there is 12 years since the old game was released, many grew old and their voice changed a bit, imagine a new banter following an old one and a drastic change on the NPC voice for that new banter? Unfortunally Beamdog couldn't use new actor voices for the old characters, but part of an EE project should be the risk of renewal, can give a good result or not.

Their voices haven't necessarily changed so much you know, so I stand for what I said and would have loved to see some of the old voice-actors return to do more voiced dialogue. (Provided their voices haven't changed as much as you obviously think)

And no, of course they couldn't use new voice-actors for the old characters !! That would be folly.
    Care to explain why that would be folly?
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Think i saw a twitter once with @TrentOster, where he didnt denied to work with Minsc voice actor ; Jim Cummings again. I see if i can find it..

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Trent Oster, 23:38, 17. aug

Jim is soo bcukets of awesome we have to work with him at some point. "Who wants some!"

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've been super-cognizant of Jim Cummings's work lately. Did you know he voiced one of the palace guards in Aladdin?

I wouldn't be opposed to having the old crew back to voice some new dialogue, particularly banters with the new NPCs. But I think it depends on cost.
    kamuizin said:

Care to explain why that would be folly?

It would be folly because almost all players of EE will have played the vanilla game before and thus come to know/like/love the characters as they are, with the voices they have. changing that will spoil the characters and their personality.

So that's a no go ! But I'm not worried about that, they're not going to make that mistake anyway.
    So the folly resumes to nostalgia? This is regression in my view, and based in that the Enhancement Edition is a folly project also. If a voice actor dies you would make no new records for that character? If they refuse to work for the new project we don't make new records?
    kamuizin said:

So the folly resumes to nostalgia? This is regression in my view, and based in that the Enhancement Edition is a folly project also. If a voice actor dies you would make no new records for that character? If they refuse to work for the new project we don't make new records?

Let's pray none of the earlier voice-actors have died, shall we? I get the feeling you're one to enjoy arguing and bickering ;) But you're entitled to have an opinion I suppose. No more arguing with me anyway as I'm off to sleep. nn
    What a bad, bad @kamuizin!!!!
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @krikkert If they died, that would pose a problem. What does the cost of a resurrection spell come to in dollars?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't know, @kilroy_was_here...they're not in the party anymore, so we might be SOL there.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    kamuizin said:

So the folly resumes to nostalgia?

Nope. Consistency. You can have different actors playing the same role in different movies, but you probably shouldn't try to pull that off within the same movie (unless you're David Lynch, I guess). And we're talking about expanding VOs on the actual games.

Now, were a BG3 to exist, and were it to feature some familiar NPCs, then it'd be okay (though not preferable) to have a different cast. Although the idea of Minsc voiced by anyone but Jim Cummings seems bizarre.