Skip to content

Toolset workflow needs to be improved.

FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
edited February 2018 in Builders - Toolset
The feedback cycle for working in the toolset is not optimal.

take this simple example of making a conversation with one script.

Create conversation, create script.

To test, you have to:

* Close script window.
* Close conversation window
* Save/build
* F9 to launch
* Test
* F4 + Enter (to close NWN)

If something is wrong

* go back, open conversation window.
* find your place in conversation
* open script
* find script
* make change.
* go though entire process again to test.

Compared to say NWN2 or other tools:

* Save
* Build/Run
* Test
* close NWN2
* Editor still has windows open so you can continue what you were doing.

Or even the blocking window is a pain in NWN. Say you need to do a simple lookup on a tag:

* Working on script
* Close all script windows (which would be dozen)
* Go into items
* Find item/tag
* re open all your script windows.

Streamlining this will make for better development which will make for better Mods and PWs which will draw in more players.

edit:

I just timed my self. If I want to change one variable in a conversation script, test, then change it back an retest then it took over 7 minutes on my computer. Compared to NWN2 which was about a minute. It's faster if I just do script it's self, but still more cumbersome then most environments. You shouldn't be forced to close all your work to do a simple test.

Comments

• Lex23Lex23 Member Posts: 34
    Second this. I've always been put off by the need to close the Conversation or Script editors in order to do anything else in the toolset, even save. What would be cool is if saving the module automatically saved all open conversations and scripts, but left them open in the editors.

On that note, just in general it would be great to be able to have multiple scripts and/or conversations open at once, possibly at the same time as having one or more creature/object Properties windows open. Allowing multiple editors (Conversations, Scripts, various Properties windows) to be open at the same time would make a lot of building tasks much quicker and easier. I can see setting some kind of hard limit on how many are open at once, but with today's common multi-core processors and much larger amounts of RAM than 00-era systems, a little bit more multi-tasking seems like a natural upgrade.