Skip to content

Core Rules: starting HP always maxed?

When you create a new character in BG:EE, does s/he always start out with the maximum die roll for HP? I created several characters under Core Rules to test it, and so far they've all started with HP maxed out.

And yes, max HP roll on level up is disabled.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    indeed it does, even on insane difficulty you start with max ( even with max HP on level up disabled ) in fact i believe all versions of DnD that are 2nd edition and pass you always start with max HP at level 1
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    Old baldur's gate did not have max hp lvl1.

I'm pretty sure the first versions of bgee also did not. I know there's an option to make max hp roll on lvlup, dunno if it's linked to max roll on lvl1 aswell
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2018
    matrice said:

Old baldur's gate did not have max hp lvl1.

Yes it did.
  • JDowJDow Member Posts: 71
    It makes a lot of sense to start with max hit points at level 1, before going random on level-ups.

Say you're a barbarian, and on level 1 your d.12 came out as a 1. Then, at level 2, your d.12 again came out low. You'd probably want to quit right?

At least if you start the game with one level of max. hit points, that's enough to get you over any initial bad rolls on levelling up before things start to level out a bit probability-wise.

It keeps the game playable :).
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    First level's a freeby. You need all the help you can get.

I'm pretty sure in BG2 it rolls for your hitpoints, since at that point you've got a few levels under your belt. It's the difference between 20 and 30, instead of between 2 and 3.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    From what I remember, Baldur's Gate II has an undocumented bonus, giving you one additional level's worth of HP at the start of the game.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on