Skip to content

NWN:EE Release Date...

Exactly when will NWN: EE be officially released?!

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

Exactly when will NWN: EE be officially released?!

There is no ETA for an official release although the headstart is playable already.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I think we're probably a good ways off before they'll even want to commit to a vague release date. Beamdog's still in the process of figuring out what they should even do to the game, let alone even implementing the changes.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Probably a year off
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've heard speculative estimates from forum posters and bloggers as high as two years. The general impression of the community is that Beamdog is very, very serious about doing NWN right, and plans to take all the time they need. They will not give themselves any deadlines.

I've heard speculative estimates from forum posters and bloggers as high as two years. The general impression of the community is that Beamdog is very, very serious about doing NWN right, and plans to take all the time they need. They will not give themselves any deadlines.

Sure. They can still release a playable and polished game and spend the next 5 years improving it like they did with BG.

But calling a playable polished game a beta already...gives them this leverage.
    But at some point they need to make money off of this thing and can’t just have this in beta for 2 years
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    I, for one, wholeheartedly support Beamdog in taking their time. I don't want them to take any risks here, make it truly the best damn RPG available before releasing it to the public.

The first impression is extremely important (and reviews posted at launch on Steam or GOG will be the most popular ones), so I'd really not want NWN:EE to come out bugged or with no to few new features aside from bugfixes.

Look at No Man's Sky as an example - the game has horrible reputation now due to how bad it was at launch, even though it's been updated and fixed beyond recognition and, from what I've heard, is actually a very good game now. Still, the stigma remains.
    Taro94 said:

I, for one, wholeheartedly support Beamdog in taking their time. I don't want them to take any risks here, make it truly the best damn RPG available before releasing it to the public.

The first impression is extremely important (and reviews posted at launch on Steam or GOG will be the most popular ones), so I'd really not want NWN:EE to come out bugged or with no to few new features aside from bugfixes.

Look at No Man's Sky as an example - the game has horrible reputation now due to how bad it was at launch, even though it's been updated and fixed beyond recognition and, from what I've heard, is actually a very good game now. Still, the stigma remains.

Beamdog still needs to pay the rent.
    Do they have anything else on the horizon this year other than sod on tablets?
    Nope
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    Staran said:

Beamdog still needs to pay the rent.
    Do they have anything else on the horizon this year other than sod on tablets?
    Nope

I'd think that you need to spend some money on video game production before the game starts earning you money. It's always been like this and it's not exclusive to video games - it's the same with books, movies, etc.

Except movie producers can't have early access programmes that will give them money even before the product's release - Beamdog can and does have it.

And, ultimately, they may earn more by waiting with their release for some time.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    There are some milestones they said they want to hit before release. The Trello board has a listing of them. One of the big ones is to make NWN 64 bit. This is on the (it will take more than 3 months list). There are other things that they said they will continue to work on and release and will continue after the release. (updating the graphic models.)

I think they will have the official release when they have an announcement for upcoming expansion to be released a few months later. But that is just my guess. :)
  • SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2018
    Getting it right is really important imho.

Fortunately the market has changed in terms of what launch even means these days. They can get hype and a nice boost by "releasing" into EA and then get more hype and a boost down the road at actual release.

Theres no reason to jump the gun these days and from a business standpoint it would be silly to do so. having the "EA" tag can keep criticism at bay, allow you to sell the game and when things are right get all the promotion that comes with an actual release.

The problem is alot of shady companies have abused this but I dont see that as being the case here- They can literally have their cake and eat it to in the current market. Its like having multiple releases in terms of sales.

They are making sales right now, will have a nice big boost immediately after releasing on steam (even in EA/Beta) and have funds trickle in while still working on the game and when things are right and they have positive reviews and feedback (which is going to happen without doubt) they can the actual 'release'.

edit- One of my favorite games is 7D2D and it has been in EA (i.e. 'not released') since 2014 I think, perhaps earlier...Its also one of the top selling games on Steam even in its EA/Alpha state- Down the road once its actually deemed 'released' there will be a mass influx of new people grabbing the game. look at Rust, for instance... It was just "released" this month and managed to be a powerhouse in terms of sales the entire way through its development.

Beamdog has something really special here- I anticipate this is going to be one of the top RPG's on Steam in terms of sales especially with the longevity factor that this game does/will have... This is like the old story about the two bulls who are standing on a cliff and looking at a field of cows and one of the bulls says "Lets run down and ...Mate with a cow" (I'm being tame by changing the story lol) and the other Bulls says "No, lets walk down and mate with ALL the cows" =P
    Post edited by SaintPhillip on
    FYI Nwn2 took two years to make according to Wikipedia
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    thats mostly due to the fact it was basically reuseing the kotor 2 engine.

i can wait it's not like i can play the original anyways as it runs badly on my laptop. and i have other things to do anyways like replaying bg as new mods have come out in the last few months.
  • Caelin1973xtCaelin1973xt Member Posts: 4
    The actual "waiting" for the official release of NWN: EE is pathetic!
  • Effec_TorEffec_Tor Member Posts: 3
    prob mid summer
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    Official Release Date: "When it's done."