Skip to content

NearInfnity - Deleting Certain Files Greyed Out?

I want to delete certain parts of .BIF files, specifically the .CHR files that don't need. I can no longer get this to work. The Delete option is grayed out on most things. Strange thing is, I know I have done this before. Can anyone help? Has this changed or have I just forgotten how I've done this lol.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Raduziel
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    edited March 2018

Seems like asking for trouble...

Certain files, like CHRs you don't really need.... Unless you don't have any CHRs of your own.. worst case if it hoses the install, there's always a reinstall :)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Biff editing has been disabled in Near Infinity for safety reasons. If you really badly need to modify biff files you could try WinBif.
    edited March 2018
    Thanks!
    @Melicamp Did it work with WinBif? I couldn't find it mentioned in the tool's help file, so I'm not sure deleting files is actually supported.

Another option would be creating a small WeiDU mod to remove the files in question.

1. Create a text file "DeleteFromBiff/setup-DeleteFromBiff.tp2" in the game folder with the following content:
    BACKUP ~DeleteFromBiff/backup~ AUTHOR ~Myself~ BEGIN ~Delete files from BIFF~ DISABLE_FROM_KEY ~01FIGHT.CHR~ ~02THIEF.CHR~ // list more files to remove...
    2. Place a weidu.exe into the game folder (or use any setup-xxx.exe from another mod), rename it to setup-DeleteFromBiff.exe and execute it.

This method has the advantage that you can restore the disabled files simply by uninstalling the mod.
    edited March 2018
    argent77 said:

@Melicamp Did it work with WinBif? I couldn't find it mentioned in the tool's help file, so I'm not sure deleting files is actually supported.

Another option would be creating a small WeiDU mod to remove the files in question.

1. Create a text file "DeleteFromBiff/setup-DeleteFromBiff.tp2" in the game folder with the following content:
    BACKUP ~DeleteFromBiff/backup~ AUTHOR ~Myself~ BEGIN ~Delete files from BIFF~ DISABLE_FROM_KEY ~01FIGHT.CHR~ ~02THIEF.CHR~ // list more files to remove...
    2. Place a weidu.exe into the game folder (or use any setup-xxx.exe from another mod), rename it to setup-DeleteFromBiff.exe and execute it.

This method has the advantage that you can restore the disabled files simply by uninstalling the mod.

You can remove the files, but unlike with NearInfinity, it hoses the game install. Its a shame there's not a way to run NearInfinity in an advanced mode. I mean repairing the install via steam fixes it, and worse case a reinstall... not the end of the world. Right? :)

Hmm maybe I'll play around with your mod. I've never messed with them before... well using them, not making them.

Can you give me more detail how to kick this off? This is what I've got. Do I need to build it into an exe to run it? Or just place in the directory?

BACKUP ~DeleteFromBiff/backup~
    AUTHOR ~Myself~

BEGIN ~Delete files from BIFF~

DISABLE_FROM_KEY
    ~0H1FIGHT.CHR~
    ~0H2MAGE.CHR~
    ~0H2THIEF.CHR~
    ~0H4CLER.CHR~
    ~0H5PALA.CHR~
    ~0H6BARD.CHR~
    edited March 2018
    There is no need to compile or build something. Just create a folder "DeleteFromBiff" in the game directory, create a text file "setup-DeleteFromBiff.tp2" inside that folder with the content outlined in my previous post and rename weidu.exe or any setup-xxx.exe from another mod to "setup-DeleteFromBiff.exe" and execute it. That's all.
    Melicamp
    argent77 said:

There is no need to compile or build something. Just create a folder "DeleteFromBiff" in the game directory, create a text file "setup-DeleteFromBiff.tp2" inside that folder with the content outlined in my previous post and rename weidu.exe or any setup-xxx.exe from another mod to "setup-DeleteFromBiff.exe" and execute it. That's all.

Makes sense. Created it, got it to load, executed successful, but doesn't seem to have worked. I'll keep tinkering with WinBiff, appreciate your help.
    edited March 2018
    Might be a typo in your script. The "OH" in OH1FIGHT.CHR and the other filenames (from your previous post) should start with an "O" (the letter) instead of "0" (the digit).
    Melicamp
    argent77 said:

Might be a typo in your script. The "OH" in OH1FIGHT.CHR and the other filenames (from your previous post) should start with an "O" (the letter) instead of "0" (the digit).

Ha, worked. You are the man!
  • mcshamemcshame Member Posts: 2
    this was super helpful. Worked like a charm!