Skip to content

[MOD] NPC Mod for BGEE: Helarine, Doomguide of Kelemvor (Beta v1)

Comments

• Jackkel_DragonJackkel_Dragon Member Posts: 103
    edited March 2013
    Still working on 0.03. Still need to write some new Dorn banters, one more PC conversation, and fix some scripting bugs before I release it. Those of you who loved 0.02 for the free 3700 gp from Hel's protection from undead scroll... that's not gonna happen in 0.03 onward. If I knew how expensive such scrolls were, I wouldn't have put one on a lv1 character in the third area of the game. :P

Edit: Well, Dorn banters and the last friendship conversation went by fast, and I even made an attempt to fix the third friendship conversation trigger bug. I think conversations 4-6 of the friendship track are going to work differently, though... rather than occur 20-30 minutes after the previous talk, they'll happen right after certain plot developments. Which means the actual frienship track is only 3 conversations long until you reach certain points in the game. I'll also take a look at tweaking the timing of conversations 1-3... they all happened really fast in all my test runs, and 4 doesn't happen until chapter 4, so there's no rush.
    Post edited by Jackkel_Dragon on
    Testing v0.03 went a lot faster and better than I expected. I'm not entirely sure Dorn's romance reactivity is working (due to his romance variables being local rather than global, which might cause problems), but everything else seems to work perfectly. v0.03 should now be available on the BSN project page.
    Aside from a custom soundset and a few banters, I'm two conversations away from considering Helarine's BGEE component "feature complete" and in beta (rather than alpha) and moving on to revising existing content and putting more focus on planning SoA content.

Thing is, I haven't seen any comments since I started releasing playable versions of Helarine. Part of this might be my fault with my overly pessimistic number scheme and the "alpha" label, but there are a number of downloads for the most recent version of Helarine. While I have my own plans for Helarine in mind, it would really help if others could point out any bugs and other issues with the mod before I move on to SoA content. Aside from a revision pass on all conversations and banters, I only really plan to change a few parts of the scripting of the mod unless bugs are found, so it'd really help if anyone could point out those bugs!
  • ZanalinaZanalina Member Posts: 23
    I've just installed Heldarine so will be happy to give any feedback once I've played with her for a while. I'd love to see a voiceset though, it's one of the things that makes the NPCs come to life for me, even if the conversations aren't voiced.

Thanks for your hard work and I'll let you know how I get on :)
    Jackkel_Dragon
    I've been making some changes to Helarine's BGEE component to prepare for changing the designation from "alpha" to "beta". The biggest change is that the PC/Helarine romance reactions have been cut from BGEE (though most of the writing will be used as a basis for the Shadows of Amn reactions). To make up for the lost conversation that was already programmed, Helarine's friendship track has been re-extended to include a fourth conversation that gives a bit more closure to the friendship track than the third conversation did. This leaves BGEE Helarine with 7 PC conversations.

Another change I'm thinking of making is removing the player-initiated dialogue (only two one-liner conversations were written for it anyway) and incorperating the lost information into the frienship track revisions. I've already made a reference to the player-initiated dialogue info in friendship conversation four, so the info won't just be tossed away.

The last change is a banter acceleration to make some of Helarine's 40+ and growing list of banters actually play. By adding onto Helarine's script and the scripts of the banter partners, the banters will now fire within 14 in-game days of the last banter with the character (with 7-14 days to the first banter). This system still needs some tweaking (right now the timer runs out when Helarine isn't in the party even though she can only talk when in the party), but hopefully will work well enough for Beta v1.

@Zanalina: Thanks for the interest! I'd love to get a custom soundset for Helarine, but I'm not sure where to look for a voice actor (I have a specific vision and don't like turning people down) and I'm still constantly revising the soundset lines in a vain attempt to make the unique lines sound less silly. It's on the to-do list for a "final" version (even in my playtests Hel sounds a little too quiet), but it might be a while.
    I've been lazy about updating Helarine for too long, and since I've been trying to focus my writing efforts on another story I decided to force myself through making the new scripts I needed for the Beta update and release that.

The new Beta v1, aside from using a new numbering scheme, includes a new friendship track conversation to bring a smoother conclusion to the non-plot related character arc and banter accelerators that cause the 30+ banters to fire much more quickly (~14 days in-universe between conversations).

While I'm not going to be adding much more (if any) content for the BGEE version of Helarine, please report bugs here or on the BSN project page. Just because I'm saving my writing efforts for BG2EE's release doesn't mean the BGEE mod has to wait that long for bugfixes!
    Tome
  • FelipeH92FelipeH92 Member Posts: 19
    Hi, as soon as I enter chapter 4 after getting tazok letters, she starts an infinite loop conversation about my relation with Neera... I had to remove her from the party :C any solutions?
  • DavidianDavidian Member Posts: 4
    I had this issue as well. For some reason, as soon as you get to Chapter 4, the banter you get is DeathTalk3-10 instead of DeathTalk4 (which I assume you should get from my observation if jkl_hel_main.d). I wasn't able to identify any obvious error in the dialogue file, but it seems like the EXITS in DeathTalk3-(14-16) aren't working right. I've never modded before, so I don't know how to fix this, but I was able to work around it. I suspect there may be an issue checking a global or something. If I take more than 20 minutes and really work on it, I may be able to fix it, but I don't want to go around modding mods.

If you get to this point in the game, you can modify .\JklHel\dialogue\jkl_hel_main.d - delete lines 2-433 and save, then reinstall the mod - you'll get the correct banter "Something about you makes me feel uneasy, . You managed to survive facing an entire bandit camp with only a small company of allies... not only survive but kill the leaders of the bandits." instead of the looping Neera conversation. This kills all the previous dialogue/conversations, so if you start a new game without undoing that change, you'll not get any conversations at all until completing the Bandit Camp.

This seems unpredictable, but I see that another conversation is scheduled for the beginning of Chapter 5. I suspect the same workaround will work if the issue repeats.

Jackkel,

I've really enjoyed the mod so far, the dialogue is impressively well written and I like the character. I hope you come out of hiding again to continue this mod for BG2:EE.
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    Hi, I have a problem ... After killing Tazok, and getting the letter on the chest that triggers the 4th chapther, Helarine enters in a dialog loop:" If youre speaking of Rasaad, hes perfectly .... " . Tried with Rasaad on party, tried dump Helarine and after that recruit again, and the loop always come back. Can you help me ? Tx
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    I'm up to the part of confronting the badits, Helarine is running along smoothly so far. GREAT job!
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    Hmm, I think you should use AreaCheck("AR2301") instead of Area("AR2301") inside of jkl_hel_partyactions.D (line 94, 103) and DO ~SetGlobal("JKL_Helarine_BG1_story3","GLOBAL",1) instead DO ~Global("JKL_Helarine_BG1_story3","GLOBAL",1) inside of jkl_hel_main.d (line 657)

And maybe you should add fl#add_kit_ee ;)
  • bigbluepawbigbluepaw Member Posts: 4
    Hey all. I tried installing this mod, but am getting a few warnings. Then, in the game, the initial conversation with Helarine is very screwed up. Where can I report bugs or get advice on how to get this working?
    I feel a bit embarrassed to ask this, but does anyone have a copy of the original files (or the ones fixed by WhiteAgnus)? I was asked elsewhere if the mod had been taken down, and only then did I realize that it had been hosted on the old BSN (which is now long dead). If someone has the files handy, I'll back it up properly this time and create a new download link.

I can't promise active development on the mod, but I can also try to hunt down any bugs that have been found and aren't already fixed. I feel bad for having left the mod abandoned for so long, so I could try to at least get the BGEE part to work properly for everyone.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Jackkel_Dragon I have you mod. Let this be an example for other how you can loose months of you work by not thinking where to host it.
    Jackkel_Dragonbob_vengRaduziel
  • BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31
    ALIEN said:

@Jackkel_Dragon I have you mod. Let this be an example for other how you can loose months of you work by not thinking where to host it.

You're the BWS guy, not?
    Can you put it there, BWS says it's manual mod and can't download it for you?
    @Bleriot Nope, this time author must decide what to do.
    Bleriot
  • BleriotBleriot Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2018
    ALIEN said:

@Bleriot Nope, this time author must decide what to do.

Yes, right.
    At least I now understand why BWS says that. Maybe such mods shouldn't be in the program? Automatic tool to say it's a manual thing is kind of funny.
    Thanks to ALIEN and argent77, I have the files again. I've put them on my main backup/cloud services, so hopefully they will survive any one service going down.

For now, I've also re-uploaded the files to Mediafire with most of the fixes WhiteAngus recommended. Hopefully no issues remain relating to those bugs, but let me know if anything is broken. The mod can be found here. (I'll also update the opening post.)

That said, I noticed that the megamod installers (or whatever they're called... I've been gone from this community for a while) don't like downloading from sites that require extra validation, like Mediafire. Is there any other service I should consider hosting the mod at, to make it easier to install through megamods and/or avoid potentially disappearing (like the old version)?

At any rate, I hope the re-upload works as well as, or better, than the original. (I've yet to be able to test it.) I'll look into potentially continuing work on the mod, but the only thing I'm willing to promise right now is to find a place to host the mod and fix existing bugs. I hope people enjoy the character!
    MateoFrozen
    Is there any other service I should consider hosting the mod at, to make it easier to install through megamods and/or avoid potentially disappearing (like the old version)?

I would say github but if you are not technical user, just use SHSForums.com - put it into download section and BWS will be happy.
    Grammarsalad
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Jackkel_Dragon I'm not a technical user and I use Github. It is easier than it looks, very practical and very reliable. Almost all my mods are hosted there (except for one that is under development), those are available on BWS and I never had any problem with it.
    Alright, I've uploaded the mod to Github for the time being. It can be found here. (I'll also add it to the opening post.)

I also cobbled together a rudimentary BG2EE version. I don't know if it compiles properly, and you need to use the console to actually spawn Helarine, but it has a new joining/rehiring dialogue for Shadows of Amn. Unfortunately, I don't own BG2EE yet, so I can't test the mod or get the spawn coordinates I need. Also, as you might expect, she doesn't have any SoA/ToB dialogue aside from being hired in Chapter 2. Depending on my other projects, I might try to get at least a bit of her BG2EE content made and working.

If I do continue the project, there are a few things I'd need to know how to do. This includes:
    - How to check specific plot stages. (Example: Siding with Bodhi.)
    - How to let the player recruit Helarine in ToB content.
    - How to add on to the epilogue slides.

I'd also need some help in figuring out what Helarine should have reactions to, since I'm not as familiar with BG2 content. But that will come later, after I have a better idea of the state of the project.

At any rate, I hope the Github version of the mod works properly, at least for BGEE. I'll try to keep the mod from nearly disappearing again.
    Grammarsalad
    edited March 2018
    Okay, so I caved and bought BG2EE at full price and decided to at least make a gameplay-only version of the mod for that game. I now have it so that Helarine spawns in and can be recruited at 150k XP (otherwise with the same stats as her BGEE start). But, for some reason, her kit won't display in the game. According to NearInfinity, the kit is properly assigned to her internally, but she doesn't get the kit class title or bonus spells in the game itself. Despite hours of puzzling through the way Weidu adds new kits, I can't figure out why it won't work. It works fine in BGEE as-written, so is it a BG2EE thing?

I may put this version up to the Github BG2EE folder (since the current one doesn't even compile), but I'd have liked to be able to get the kit working before I released the build...

Edit: Just remembered that the bonus spells are "special abilities", not proper domain spells. Those seem to work, despite the kit title not working...
    Raduziel
    @Jackkel_Dragon sent you a PM.

Cheers!
    @Jackkel_Dragon Some .d file is returning an error when trying to install Helarine in BG2EE.
    Which version of weidu are you using? I have no issues with the version that is included with the mod, though I have no idea how up-to-date that version is. I just took the one with the highest version number I could find and used it.

Does it say anything more specific in the error log? Like which file might be causing the issue?
    @Jackkel_Dragon Sorry for taking this long.
    ERROR: compiling [JklHel/dialogue/jkl_hel_banter.d]!
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Helarine for BG2EE], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [JklHel/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "JklHel/backup/0/OTHER.0")
    [JklHel/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 26 files for [JklHel\Helarine_BGEE.tp2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 26 files for [JklHel\Helarine_BGEE.tp2] component 0.
    Unable to Unlink [JklHel/backup/0/READLN.0]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "JklHel/backup/0/READLN.0")
    Unable to Unlink [JklHel/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "JklHel/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT")
    ERROR: Sys_error("JklHel/dialogue/jkl_hel_banter.d: No such file or directory")
    PLEASE email the file jklhel_bgee.DEBUG to Jackkel Dragon
    The version I used is the one available on GitHub at the moment. Can't tell the version because I couldn't find this information. Clean BG2EE install - and I'm using the correct folder Helarine Mod (BG2EE).

Thanks.
    edited July 2018
    I'd need to take some more time to look into it, but I don't have any issues on my end. Also, the errors sound like you may be on a Unix-based system? Or is that how weidu always runs?

Looking at the D file, it might be because that file is technically empty. Maybe try adding a blank comment or deleting the file before running the install, see if that works. (Perhaps weidu/Unix thinks an empty file is an non-existant file.)

If that doesn't work, I'll see what else I can do. I'll try to look into it either way, but it might be an operating system issue.

Edit: It occurs to me that my solution idea may not work as-is. It might require a line to be commented out in order to avoid the "missing file" error. Let me check the line needed...
    Edit 2: Line 184 of the TP2 file is the banter D file line. See if commenting that line out will fix the install.

Also, I may make a dummy banter script and put that on GitHub, if only to prevent others from getting this issue...
    Raduziel
    @Jackkel_Dragon

Running into a different error now
    Compiling 1 script ...
    ERROR: error compiling [JklHel/scripts/JKLHEL.baf]: Sys_error("JklHel/scripts/JKLHEL.baf: No such file or directory")
    ERROR: compiling [JklHel/scripts/JKLHEL.baf]!
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Helarine for BG2EE], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [JklHel/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "JklHel/backup/0/OTHER.0")
    [JklHel/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 26 files for [JklHel\Helarine_BGEE.tp2] component 0.
    Man, Unix really hates empty files... That one is on line 188 of the TP2 script. I don't know if that might break something or not, though, since that's the creature script...

I'll have to make a note of this and try to avoid having any empty files in the build. What OS are you using? I tend to use Windows 7, which doesn't give me the errors.

Also, I looked to see if there are any other empty files, and there should not be any. Hopefully this is the last of this issue for now, and it will disappear entirely once I add something to those files.
    I'm on Win 10.