Skip to content

Help converting animations from PST to BG2

Wizer13Wizer13 Member Posts: 65
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to use the animations done by Cuv from PST and use them in BG2. If I'm following the instructions correctly, I must rename the animations files to the right prefix founf in ANISND.ids. Example:

Example: Let's say I want to use the WIGHT_2 animation slot for my animation. I would take each file and rename them accordingly with BAUBA1 --> MWI2A1, BAUBA1E --> MWI2A1E, BAUBA2 --> MWI2A2, BAUBA2E --> MWI2A2E, etc.

Here's the link to the instructions:

file:///C:/GOG%20Games/Baldurs%20Gate%20II%20-%20Enhanced%20Edition/override/anim_decompressé/Bariaur/Readme-%20BAUB.htm

Thing is, I've tried to rename my files like said, transfered them to the override folder, used the right animation to my creature (I've took Mellisan animation and replaced it with the bariaur one) and nothing happens.

Am I missing something? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited March 2018
    I would advise using these steps:

Extract the BAM from Cuv's archive (downloaded from http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/453-pst-animation-conversion-baub-bauriaur/ ) to the override folder.

Bulk-rename these files to a new prefix (if you have a modder prefix, preferably use it as the first two characters. For example, in my case, I renamed everything to ZKBA****.bam). I would advise using either powershell if you are familiar with it, or a rename utility like Bulk Rename Utility, to avoid wasting time and making mistakes.

Created a new .INI file (copy pasted from that of the basic yuan-ti, ed00.ini, for example and just changed the resref line to ZKBA. Named the new .ini file ed01.ini, but you may pick any slot that isn't already taken.)

Added 0xED01 BAURIAR to the animate.ids file (that's the ids file you want to edit, not anisnd.ids. anisnd.ids is kind of useless now)

And you should be good to go. If you edit a character for it to have the new Bauriar animation it should work.

Note that if you do that it will still use the sound of a yuan-ti when performing actions (being hit, moving, etc...). If you want to edit that to use the sounds of the Bauriar, just extract the sounds listed in the .ini file of the bauriar in PST:EE, put them into your override folder, and edit your .ini file, replacing the filenames in the sound category with the ones you extracted.
  • Wizer13Wizer13 Member Posts: 65
    Thx Arunsun! I'll try that and come back if it worked! ;)
    Okay, well, I tried everything in order. From downloading again the animations, put the Sref (BAUB) in the .ini I created (ed01.ini), add 0xed01 Bariaur to animate.ids, attributed the animation to the creature, and it crashes everytime. Maybe it's an issue with the number of frames attributed to the .ini file, or that the animation isn't compatible from PST to BG2, I don't know.

I'll try converting my own animations from the source material. If you have another solution, I'm all ears. Thanks for time! ;)
    edited March 2018
    Well I litterally just tried it with the same animation as you (Bariaur) in BG2EE using only those steps and it worked... You mentioned crashes. When, exactly, does it crash? When the game starts or when you actually load your save?

Do you have anything else in your override folder ? Like, for instance, other bams you copied from PST or something like that?
    Hello again. It crashes when i CLUA the map I put the .cre in, signifying there's a problem with the animation. It worked before without the animation, so I know I must have done an error while creating and attributing the .ini.

As far as I know, I didn't have other bams of the same name in my override. Ill try once again from the start, maybe I'll find my error by then.
    edited March 2018
    Well, provided you have no other mod that edits animate.ids, you should safely be able to paste everything in the attached (compressed) folder to your override folder, and this time it should work... Otherwise I don't know how to help you.

I just tried again on a totally unmodded game and there it is:
    Post edited by Arunsun on
    Thanks Arunsun. It is really appreciated
    It worked perfectly after I changed the animation version to BG2! Thanks again Arunsun, you're a lifesaver! :)
    Hey Arunsun, one question. Do you know how to extend the Animate.ids in a script to include all the new animations I wanna use? I cannot find any mention on threads or in weidu documentation. Would An extend_bottom work?
    I also heard there's limited spaces to place new animations in bg2, is that true? Thanks for your time!
    edited March 2018
    Extend_bottom is intended for dialogues.

WeiDU's function APPEND_FILE is what you're looking for.
    Something like that would work:

COPY_EXISTING ~animate.ids~ ~override~
    		APPEND_FILE ~filepath\...\animation.txt~

And within the animation.txt you'll have one or more lines you want to add, with the usual format of an animate.ids (e.g. 0xED01 BAURIAR )

And yes, technically there is a limit to the number of animations in BG, but since it's coded on 2 bytes there can be up to 65536 of them, which leaves you with roughly 65000 to add to the list :smiley:
    All you have to do is to make sure the slots you're using are not already used in the game, or in another mod, but not so many mods add new animations.
    One could probably script something to make sure you're not overwriting a file installed by another mod, but it's so unlikely that I'd favor the trial and error method: pick any slot that's free in the original game, and if someone reports an animation bug you'll just have to change a digit or two.

By the way, if you want to specifically tag someone on this forum, use "@+username", this way the tagged person will receive a notification.
    Thank you @Arunsun ! ;)