Skip to content

A couple of products I'd love to buy from Beamdog one day.

A couple of things I'd love to be able to buy from Beamdog at some point:

1. Dm-led modules, stand-alone. Small modules, built and set up for a party of 3-6 players (or so), with a DM bic included all set up with everything needed to DM the module. All monsters, NPCs, locations, treasures, XP -- everything -- ready to run. Nice DM documentation for running the module. Imagine them as NWN versions of published modules for D&D. Quickslots for DM are set up; encounters are set up; etc. Iconic areas such as Shadowdale or the Ruins of Tilverton might have some unique features, maybe each module has a few unique monsters, whatever.

I just feel like the casual players and DMs out there might leap onto the DMed NWN experience, if it's as easy as hosting the module and having your friends join, rather than building the module, populating it, learning to script what you want, creating or finding CC models (if possible). A person buying a WOtC paper module (or .pdf, you know what I mean) doesn't have to write the module, create the artwork. They just read through, tweak a bit if they want, and then play it with their friends. I'd love to see this replicated with NWN.

2. Pre-fabbed PW bases, connectible if desired, standalone if not. Imagine that BD sells Shadowdale Region as a PW, and I buy it, tweak it a bit, and host it for my friends, DMing adventures in the areas. Iconic areas like Toad Knoll, Old Skull Inn, etc., all put together and ready to play. Perhaps Persistent World isn't the right term, maybe simply Large Prefabs is better. I only say PW because the underlaying mechanics to play ongoing, connected scenarios in the areas provided would seem easier if the game world was persistent.

I'd pay a lot for a professionally built Shadowdale Region, and later I'd pay a lot for other regions such as Cormyr, Westgate, Waterdeep. Portaling from one to another, using them as standalone products, or combining into one world would all be possibilities (in my fevered dream).

It feels like some of the promise inherent in Neverwinter Nights could be realized by giving products like the above to the many people who might not want to create from whole cloth their own worlds, their own Shadowdale, and would open them up to playing D&D with long distance friends, or cheek-by-jowl compatriots, using NWN as their tabletop.

Must be my Sunday Afternoon, Pie in the Sky, Multi-colored, Fantastical Dream Thoughts of the Day, day. :)

-JFK

Comments

• StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I would buy campaign modules.
    But there is a caviat. If you have an overarching story and you are selling individual module they would need to be fairly regular to keep interest.
    If it is 6 months between chapters, forget it.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    I hear what you're saying there, @Staran. I picture it as standalone, small modules, not really full-fledged campaigns. But, I too would indeed buy connected modules that form an overarching campaign, caveat or no. If nothing else, I'd purchase them and play them after enough were available to keep going as more came out, if you know what I mean.
    DMed games, I think, take much longer to 'complete', if the DM is worth his or her salt. Things that are nothing at all in a scripted computer game take on life (and take time and add to RP fun) with a live DM and live players. Having awesome areas to run scenarios in, with recognizable and iconic (man, I am really over using that word today. Sheesh!) structures, NPCs, Etc., would help so much in creating the backdrop for adventures in FR.

-JFK
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I have never played multiplayer anything in my life.
    So that doesn’t interest me.
    It takes a lot of faith and patience in others that o don’t have