Skip to content

Extra henchmen functionality for the OC - feedback is required

2»

Comments

• cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    DM possession would go a long way. Even in NWN2 if I have a big fight with a party, I’m usually giving them commands individually, but...

Why the half measure? Trent very clearly said they knew how to do it and it’s not a technical issue.

It seems like a strange place to draw the line on functionality. Maybe someone wants to build a highly tactical module where full FPC will be really useful.

And suppose you want everyone to attack a single opponent and ignore everyone else. You can do it by selecting the entire party, or pausing and individually possessing each member. The first way is just more efficient, but the result is the same.

It just seems strange to me that they’ve got this very, “this is the right way to play the game,” philosophy even if a significant chunk of the player base disagrees.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Maybe you could send out meeting invites to talk about it?
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    I'm with Proleric and DerpCity, some clickable buttons for melee vs ranged and hotu style interface and a general cleanup of the feats and stats.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Make it like Temple of Elemental Evil where the henchmen pick up items from bodies by themselves (e.g. Wizard grabs the Great Axe encumbering herself while leaving the magic scrolls for the Barbarian to collect) and then never give them back, forcing you to kill them out of frustration.

Dat der was gud henchmen AI.

(Just kiddin', of course. NWN2 got the henching business just right. Anything close to it will work just fine.)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Full. Party. Control.

Targeting, positioning, leveling up, gear, everything.

It can be made as BG/IWD-style or as DM-Possession-style, I don't care. What I want is to be able to trust that my henchman will not keep doing stupid things.

You guys may limit on which class a NPC can level up, but that's it. There is no amount of AI that will be better than an actual player.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Back when NWN first came out, my main complaint was that I couldn't control my henchman. I would at least like an option to have full party control. It could even be an option that is determined by the module you're playing. Multiplayer modules should probably be as it's currently implemented, but those that are single player should let you choose which option to use.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    I'm just throwing this out: greater responsiveness and ease of henchmen commands? I've lost count of the times Nasir in PotSC just stood there like a piratey statue...
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    I sent TrentOster a PM asking if he'd allow me to implement henchmen inventory and some improved henchmen controls into the OC officially (purely as volunteer work, all rights owned by Beamdog, final approval by Beamdog, etc). We'll see what happens.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    @Balkoth I dunno if he will accept it, but if he does, you'll be doing Tyr's work.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    DerpCity said:

@Balkoth I dunno if he will accept it, but if he does, you'll be doing Tyr's work.

So effectively @Balkoth becomes OC Aribeth?