Skip to content

Help/Ideas Welcome for Drow issues

Spoiler warning for ending SoA in this post.

At the end of SoA, we see how with the goading of Irenicus, the drow of Ust Natha start an attack on the surface. I am wondering, how is this reconciled with the light sensitivity that drow suffer from? From what I understand, even the moonlight should cause pain and sun should be positively blinding. I find it hard to reconcile FR's drow background of wishing to wipe out surface elves and their light sensitivity - how do the two work out?

I am especially interested in this right now as I have started writing a drow fanfic partially inspired by my CHARNAME's time in Ust Natha and would love to hear your thoughts. CHARNAME is going to go in for a rescue operation of one of Eilistraee's faithful (not Solaufein though, hahah) as well as err... a couple of murders. How to deal with the eventual blinding and pain effects of the surface? I have some ideas brewing, but would love some input from you if you have any!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well, at least according to Salvatore (one of the main writers for Dungeons and Dragons novels). moon and starlight isn't blinding, and is typically soft enough to not cause pain. So the Drow would likely be okay focusing on night raids. Though, Irenicus didn't really care for the outcome of attack. All he needed the Drow for was a distraction, to allow him to enter the city without facing the elven army.
  • DivinaDivina Member Posts: 26
    Thanks ThacoBell, I can always count on you :) I had thought it was different as per 5th ed rules, but it's fanfic after all, I am sure I can bend them a little bit ;) Or a lot..
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm trying to keep it consistent with 2E rules, mostly because this is a forum for a game series based off 2E. It also helps that I know nothing of anything after 3E.