Skip to content

New content from other than Steam

When new content is released will I be able to download it directly from Beamdog or the Vault. I am not interested in Steam (I don't do Multiplayer and don't care to) at all but I want to get all the new updates.

Comments

• TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86
    In the stream yesterday they said they want to get new content mirrored on the Vault.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    All the evidence to date is that Beamdog are publishing official releases direct as well as on Steam.

Much of the new content will be fan-made, of course. Modders will decide for themselves where to publish. Discussion so far suggests that the Vault will remain popular, with some works appearing on Steam, too.

Since you don't have to buy the game from Steam, it doesn't make sense for authors to publish there exclusively - that would limit their audience to Steam players. Arguably, publishing on both Steam and the Vault improves visibility and player convenience, but not all modders are convinced. So, nothing to worry about, really.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    Thank Proleric. I was thinking right before I came to see the latest posting that maybe I need to change my user Id to Kreatcher since I'm a creature of habit and I am so use to finding all my content on the Neverwinter Vault (and IGN) along with Nexus.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210

In the stream yesterday they said they want to get new content mirrored on the Vault.

It will be interesting to see which site becomes the tap root for all things nwn. ATM it seems Steam is getting a lot of love from BD because I guess they have the sales platform and friend finder integral and the other goodies. Should/ could/ would the vault open up a point of sale for the game too? Nah, silly me, all they’d have to do is provide a link back to BD point of sale.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the stream basicly says the vault with still be the main place with workshop as secondary.
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86

the stream basicly says the vault with still be the main place with workshop as secondary.

That's the way I'm treating it. Everything I release goes to the Vault as normal, then (if I feel like putting in the time and effort) posting some things to the Steam Workshop.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited March 2018
    The way I see how the two systems are going. I see steam becoming to place to jump in and grab modules/pw and play with subscribes(for people like most of my friends who do get confused over where to place hak/tlk etc..) and I see the vault become a place for builders, CC creator etc... Where you can easily get the files and open modules/hak etc.. for research, learning, modification etc... As you seen on steam with questions of how do I open this to mess with it and authors saying grab it at the vault and place it in the folders. This may change when/how the auto-downloader integration allows connection to vault entries or other sources. This is why I mirror both places that are complete.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    @ShadowM - I'm sure you're right about builders, as Steam doesn't cater for our needs at all well. There is a third category, though - players who don't buy on Steam will need the Vault because they won't be able to download from Steam Workshop.
  • NWN_TömlNWN_Töml Member Posts: 90
    Talking about both platforms i will always prefer our neverwinter vault. I dont realy like the abonement button and then bam it autodownloads stuff in some steamapps folder.

But i can see the reason for regular MP players why they would prefer steam over the vault. The autodownload function is perfect for PW´s to keep their players up to date.