Skip to content

Poll: Minsc BG1 or Minsc BG2 Voice

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
Between the two, you may have a preference, or no preference at all.

I'm just curious to see if others share what I'm thinking, but I will not yet speak my bias.

So I ask all here:

Which voice for Minsc do you like better?
1. BG1
2. BG2
3. Don't care, right Boo?

And feel free to share why.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I never noticed they were different. >_>

Though I did play BG2 a lot more than unmodded BG1.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The two clearly sound different to me.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I thought his voice was better in BG1. But it'd be a mistake to replace voicesets in BG1 with their equivalents. It's like all these people arguing about if BG2 portraits should replace old ones. There's no point, so why do it? When we get to BG2:EE we'll be listening and looking at the same things which isn't refreshing one bit.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Um.

Minsc has the same voice actor (Jim Cummings) in both games.

I'm not sure what question you're asking.
    They record new voicesets though.
    Well. Yes. I mean, it's a new game, in a new chapter of the story.

But in that case, it's not a question of the voice set, it's a question of the game, isn't it? It wouldn't make sense, for example, if Imoen was saying "I really want out of here", as she strolls through Beregost.
    edited June 2012
    @Aosaw

That's why I was worried when people started saying "Hey we should replace the BG1 portraits with BG2 portraits". I wouldn't have enjoyed Minsc as much if he used the same voiceset the next game, getting new lines or just having old lines re-done and seeing a new portrait is a really good, refreshing thing.

So all in all it doesn't matter which game they sound better in, I say keep things the way they are. The only thing I don't like about BG1 is Imeon's portrait. She looks like some Latino 40 year old woman, not an 18 year old tomboy. Her second portrait is perfect.
    So they really weren't different voices, Minsc just said different things.
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    I'd prefer a choking, gurgling sound for a few seconds, followed by silence forever.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The voice actor may be the same, but it's how the character voice was executed. The BG2 voice sounds happier and aloof. BG1's voice set for Minsc was serious, but comedic. BG2 Minsc was just comedic.

BG1 Minsc voice was better in my opinion.

Not saying "Oooh, re-record the guy!" Just opening discussion.
    The problem was that they only included Minsc in BG2 because of Boo - it was solely for Minsc's comic relief that he was in the game at all. Note that Minsc doesn't have any personal side quests in BG2; the one instance where a quest is initiated with him, you can get the same quest without him in your party.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    The problem was that they only included Minsc in BG2 because of Boo - it was solely for Minsc's comic relief that he was in the game at all. Note that Minsc doesn't have any personal side quests in BG2; the one instance where a quest is initiated with him, you can get the same quest without him in your party.
    huh. learned something new there.
    Don't get me wrong; it was a missed opportunity. But if you look at the game as a whole, and then look at the game without Minsc in it, the story plays out exactly the same. Minsc is an NPC that you put in your party solely because he's entertaining to have around - you sacrifice the chance to play through another NPC's questline, and Minsc-and-Boo is what you get in trade.
    I would still take Boo and Minsc (notice I switched the order) if they sat in the corner and squirmed. I would take Minsc if I gave him a Cursed Berserker 2H +3 and attacked me all the time. He is worth every bit of possible suffering.

But god damnit I wish we could learn more about him in BG2.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited June 2012
    Boo and Lilarcor and Minsc, now that's my favourite team. Also love the quest added for him by Unfinished Business mod.

As for soundsets, I'd go with respective one for each game, for all characters.
    @lansounet

The funny part is that Minsc had Lilarcor for most of the game, until halfway through ToB (I forget what I gave him then).
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Yeh it's pretty much his go-to weapon after Sword of Chaos ^^ a +3 weapon with its immunities that early in the game is just too good to ignore.
    edited June 2012
    SPOILER:
    Nah I was the one who used the Sword of Chaos. If I remember correctly it was the sword which evil Sarevok attempted to use to inflict horrible pain on CHARNAME. There's a mod which lets you give it to him in ToB, but I dunno about his armour.

I always try to have proficiencies in 2H, Bastard, Two Weapon and Sword and Shield.
  • 767kaos767kaos Member Posts: 1
    I must say... misnc has very low charisma and intelligence and wisdom... the whole idea of him being a ranger and not a fighter is in my opinion intended as a hint of logic to the existence of boo... minsc is not serious he is in itself a comic relief... a very good one I might add "go for the eyes boo go for the eyes!" I know he has such a long and good back story but... he simply went "bananas" after her witch died... as boo being his only reason to live together with its disturbed moral sense... the change in tone on his voice makes all sense in the world and should be kept as is... not to mention the fact that minsc went through hell in the short time spam of bg1 and bg2... being tortured and all... losing his witch... choosing a new one on imoen and losing her again shortly after... so minsc got insane... so I rest my case.
    @767kaos

Minsc might have got "insaner" in BG2, but he was already "crazy" in BG1, we just didn't have all of the character interactions of BG2 in BG1 to notice it as much.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In Polish dub I prefer BG2 version of Minsc all the way. In BG1, he didn't sound like he's having some kind of light mental disorder (talking to hamsters anyone?), but in BG2, he do. And that makes him awesome. Not as awesome as Boo, thought.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    I prefer Minsc voice in BG2, but Boo is the star here :D
    I also agree with 767kaos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.