Skip to content

NWN EE Mouse Sensitivity and UI Scaling

I was having some email exchanges with an acquaintance about why I was playing in 800x600 in this day and age despite having a 1920x1080 monitor. My two main concerns were...

1. The UI doesn't scale up -- and in particular the quickbar no longer stretches from bottom right to bottom left. This makes it harder to quickly move the mouse to F1 or F12. Which is primarily a problem since you're expected to click on your abilities for the most part and use Shift or Control to swap between quickbars. If you're willing to pause a lot this isn't as big of a deal, but if you're trying to avoid much pausing or are on a Persistent World I think it is significant.

2. The mouse sensitivity changes. It seems to go by pixel rather than percent of screen, meaning you need about 2.5 times the mouse movement to cross the screen on 1920x1080 compared to 800x600. On the flip side, the vertical sensitivity difference is less than double. And as far as I can tell there's no option to adjust mouse sensitivity. Mouse wheel zoom in and out sensitivity, yes. Screen edge turn sensitivity, yes. The mouse itself? Nope.

These two issues both seem weird and fairly unique to NWN in my experience.

I made a rambling video where I demonstrate these issues as well, though please note that the improved resolutions (1280x720 and 1920x1080) look fuzzy in the video due to setting the recording program up to capture 800x600 correctly. The actual game looks much better as you would expect (the UI and mouse sensitivity problems can still be seen, but don't judge the graphics quality in the video). Video is here.

I guess for me, I'd just rather not sacrifice gameplay for graphics. Curious what others think.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Can you try turning on hardware cursor?

nwn.ini

[Video Options]
    Enable HardwareMouse=1
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    @niv It's already enabled.