Skip to content

Game worth getting?

Hello!

I own the Diamond Edition of the game and still play it. Tried to find some reviews or gameplay on the net to decided whether it's worth buying the EE or not. The videos i saw seemed a little blurrier at best and the steam reviews only write about the game itself which is not related to being EE. It would be nice for someone who has the original and bought the EE to give a honest opinion whether it was worth to re-buy.

Thank you!

Comments

• zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    Definitely worth a rebuy. I've bought four copies for myself and friends now. Beamdog is a great company and EE is only going to get better over time with additional updates.
    Proleric
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2018
    myshaq said:

It depends.
    If you're mostly playing on multiplayer servers, then YES - 1.69 and EE are not compatible and most servers will eventually go to EE version
    If you're mainly interested in single players campaigns and modules and Diamond Edition runs well on your system, then NO - there are no improvments for single player(no party control, no better AI, no new classes, feats, etc), no new modules(both official and community made) - everything is still available for Diamond Edition

I'm of the same opinion. As soon as all of the new 3d models, textures and updated tilesets and whatnot are both finished and included within the game, NwN:EE is really starting to get interesting for singleplayer-only gamers. But until then? Not so much.

If you're only going to play the official campaigns and expansion packs, then it's worth to wait before rebuying the game. Pretty much 75% of all enhancements are currently under-the-hood things targeted for modders and PW's.
    cherryzero
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2018

Hello!

I own the Diamond Edition of the game and still play it. Tried to find some reviews or gameplay on the net to decided whether it's worth buying the EE or not. The videos i saw seemed a little blurrier at best and the steam reviews only write about the game itself which is not related to being EE. It would be nice for someone who has the original and bought the EE to give a honest opinion whether it was worth to re-buy.

Thank you!

As others said, if your plan is replaying the OCs then there is no incentive right now to buy the game. It is exactly the same as the DE. In the future, if they improve the visuals of the OCs (something they are doing) and several other fixes and improvements (like full party control and tweaking some spells/feats) then it will be worth, imo.

As of now it is only worth if you want to "support the cause" or mod the game.

cherryzero
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I will not buy it.... Theres as good as no improvement imo.
    Ill sit back andwait for them to come up with a new game ;)
    RifleLeroy
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    I don't resent buying it but at the moment I don't recommend it for SP. I am still using original nwn as I can't live without nwnshader to increase the draw distance, and I also need the gamma control that was removed from options.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I have my original nwn as well as all the individual expansion cd’s. I don’t own a cd drive.
    I bought the dd version of the game off of beamdog the week it was announced in head start.
    I may have been drunk though.
    This game is always worth it.

You will never run out of content
    dTd
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Looks way better in 4K and the Steam integration alone makes it worth it.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    If you are a current player and you play multiplayer then we can assume that you don't need to buy the EE version unless your server migrates.
    Some of the things I like about EE, in no particular order:

1.) The server list is 100% functional again.
    2.) Steam integration + friends list
    3.) Steam workshop integration
    4.) 1-click subscribe to PW hakpaks
    5.) SetEventHandler/GetEventHandler
    6.) BootPC, with a custom message
    7.) Haks preload on character creation
    8.) Graphical upgrade overrides
    9.) Beamdog's involvement in the community.
    10.) The weekly Twitch streams.
    11.) It's brought back players - both new and old.
    12.) The NWNX rewrite for EE which includes an easier to use API as well as a ton of new features.
    13.) Normal maps + spec maps
    14.) Community involvement in what features Beamdog brings to the game.
    15.) Continued support and development of the game for years to come. Other Beamdog products continue to receive updates 5+ years after they release.
    16.) The upcoming UI customization which will allow PWs to add their own UI windows and overrides.
    17.) Bug and exploit fixes.
    18.) Fixed compatibility issues on newer hardware.
    19.) Well over 100+ additional hours of playing/building time (plus the thousands I spent on the original)
    20.) Numerous unlocked ini settings such as camera adjustments, stat caps, and so on.
    21.) Backwards compatibility with all community content from 1.69
    22.) Toolset speed enhancements

To me, it's totally worth the money. :)
    SkipBittmanMrDamageIsewein
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    That may indeed be the case but here is one point to consider. If someone is currently already playing the game without any issues then none of that really matters.

If your current server heavily uses extensions for a feature rich experience but hasn't ported to EE then the EE client collects dust on your hard drive. Simple matter of fact.
    RifleLeroy
    Sure, then in that case it might not be the right purchase for you! That's totally OK too :)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited March 2018
    With the promise of a new premium module or other custom content? Yes I hope so, I've gotten it and I don't regret it.

But other than that it's nice to have multiplayer support and persistent and continued patching(and im not talking the Bear hibernation cycles with Baldurs gate here-.-)

I'm sure it will be good addition eventually, assuming it sells well... At least I hope it does.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    EE will evolve above and beyond with the continued support, development and potential expansions by Beamdog. Its completely worth the money.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    I bought a copy as well hoping new modules/content eventually get released and patched into the game. This is my favorite game of all time so it's an easy decision really.
    MrDamage
  • SzenhidratSzenhidrat Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and opinions. Since i almost exclusively play solo content and most of the features i would be interested in are "will be" and "might be" i think i will pass this one for now and get it once all of those things are released or if it the game will be on sale. Only tired multi once so that does not interest me really but if it's not against the rules i want to suggest everyone to try Arelith.

Thanks again and happy gaming.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I think you’ve already made up your mind but I’ll throw in my two cents anyway. I’ve had the headstart from the first couple of days and have been active in these boards, trello, and sending big reports. All that being said I, like you, are very much a casual gamer and don’t know the engine or ruleset as well as some people here.

Right now, most of the changes are under the hood and though there are a few graphical enhancements you won’t notice all that much right now. Down the road however, the game had the potential to look great. Maybe not quite 2018 but still really really good. It would almost be worth it just for that.

Almost.

If you’re mostly a single player gamer, like I am, lack of full party control is one of those, not sure they are going to fix, wonky design decisions that almost makes the game frustrating enough to be unplayable.

Still I’m glad I bought it just to support beamdog. And I’d recommend doing the same, but if you wait a bit then at least visually you’ll be in for a huge upgrade.