Skip to content

NWN:EE does not allow direct downloads via the Workshop Downloader

Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
edited March 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
If anyone doesn't know, there's this nifty little tool known as the Steam Workshop Downloader (http://steamworkshopdownloader.com).

For the most part it is great - it allows you to download Steam Workshop content directly, a perfect solution for everyone who has bought a game elsewhere (and I believe it's disgusting that Steam does not provide such a feature themselves, but that's not the problem at hand here).

However, when I wanted to see if it'll work just fine for NWN:EE, I've received the message:
"The game that this item belongs too does not allow downloading of its items...BUMMER!"

This is both curious and concerning - is it Beamdog who has specifically disallowed the Workshop content to be downloaded directly? If so, why?

It's already concerning that part of the community will not have easy access to some content based on whether they have the game on Steam, on GOG, or somewhere else, but if they can't even download it with a third party tool that works excellent for the great majority of games on Steam, that's even worse.
Post edited by Taro94 on

Comments

• helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Taro94 said:

If anyone doesn't know, there's this nifty little tool known as the Steam Workshop Downloader (http://steamworkshopdownloader.com).

For the most part it is great - it allows you to download Steam Workshop content directly, a perfect solution for everyone who has bought a game elsewhere (and I believe it's disgusting that Steam does not provide such a feature themselves, but that's not the problem at hand here).

However, when I wanted to see if it'll work just fine for NWN:EE, I've received the message:
    "The game that this item belongs too does not allow downloading of its items...BUMMER!"

This is both curious and concerning - is it Beamdog who has specifically disallowed the Workshop content to be downloaded directly? If so, why?

It's already concerning that part of the community will not have easy access to some content based on whether they have the game on Steam, on GOG, or somewhere else, but if they can't even download it with a third party tool that works excellent for the great majority of games on Steam, that's even worse.

What kind of content will be blocked depending on the version of NWN EE you have?
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    helmo1977 said:

What kind of content will be blocked depending on the version of NWN EE you have?

The Workshop content.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    Those of us who bought EE direct from Beamdog in the past received a Steam key which allowed us to download from the Steam Workshop but play standalone. My impression is that this will continue?
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    Proleric said:

Those of us who bought EE direct from Beamdog in the past received a Steam key which allowed us to download from the Steam Workshop but play standalone. My impression is that this will continue?

What about those that buy it on GOG? I highly doubt they'll be given a free Steam copy just to be able to download the Workshop content (though that would be marvelous).
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    Well, in any case, from what I hear, most mod authors will still be publishing on the Vault. Some of us will publish on Steam, too, though not everyone is convinced about that.