Skip to content

Polymorph/Shapechanging and Prepared Spells/Spontaneous Spell Slots

Once upon a time I hosted a Dark Sun persistent world. One of the things in the base game that drove me nuts was that my spellcasters couldn't actually use polymorph or shapechanging effects without gutting their spells because of the changes in primary stat and/or loss of bonus slots from losing gear. We addressed this by creating a system that ensured that your primary casting stat and any bonus slots were not lost at any time during the shift. This allowed anyone who had shapeshifting abilities to no gimp their spells when shifting.

I wonder if Beamdog could address this when updating the game. Shapeshfiting via abilities or spells should not gut your prepared spells or spontaneous slots.

If the scripts would help to show how we did it I might be able to dig through some old backups and find them. Our system worked flawlessly and I habitually tossed the scripts into my override so I could use shapeshifting spells/abilites in single player campaigns without gutting my spells.

In PnP you don't lose spell slots from shapeshifting so I don't think we should lose them in NWN either.

Comments

• jwwjww Member Posts: 34
    I second this. It would be nice to actually play a shapechanger of some sort, but I never do because of this issue. (I think Owl's Insight may help with this for high-level druids, by keeping their wisdom high even during a shapeshift, but the problem is broader than that.)

Also, related to this, it would be nice to not erase your bonus spell slot selections any time you change gear. In the campagins there's only one decent +wis slot, the amulet, which is also the slot that Bioware keeps using for story items, some of which are mandatory. If I remember right, NWN2 had a system that remembered your selections even if you couldn't memorize them at the moment. (If they were planning to edit the campaigns, I'd also suggest making those items work from inventory instead, but I don't think they're planning to do that.)