Skip to content

[RESOLVED] Windows 10 - nwtoolset - unable to start (see: Bitdefender / Antivirus)

elegoselegos Member Posts: 12
edited April 2018 in Builders - Toolset
Hello!

I'm trying to let the toolset start, but I can't because of an "Abnormal program termination" error. I've tried deleting the "%USER%\Documents\Neverwinter Nights" folder, and now it has two errors in a row:

1. Assertion failed: !(sFileCreationFailure.CStr()), file .\nwtframe.cpp, line 9081
2. Abnormal program termination

How am I supposed to fix the thing?
This is happening both in the Steam installation and the Beamdog Client's one. The "Neverwinter Nights" folder keeps being created with .0, .1, .2 etc suffixes...

EDIT: attached the application's log file... I hope it may help. I've tried making the "%USER%\Documents\Neverwinter Nights" folder non-readonly, but nothing changed.

EDIT 2: after manually creating nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini, I can (at least) enter the game, though they are empty files. Now if I try to start the toolset, procmon will trace an "access denied" exception trying to create the file "nwtoolset.ini". I tried manually creating it, with no luck (same error). I'm (obviously) the owner of the folder and there is no "read only" option on it. Tried executing it as administrator too.
Post edited by elegos on

Comments

• elegoselegos Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2018
    Ok, just resolved. The issue was... *drumroll*... the antivirus software!

For any of you who have Bitdefender, I suggest you to do the following:

- open the game and the toolset, then let them crash
    - open the bitdefender's GUI and click on the bell icon on the left: it will show you the (silently) blocked applications that tried to access the private user's Documents folders. Click on one of them and then click on the button "show application"
    - you'll see the "SAFE FILES" dialog (Applications access sub-menu) with a list of applications that tried to access the private files. On the right will there be a slider to allow or deny access to the particular file. Allow nwmain.exe and nwtoolset.exe and... you're done!

*Oh, Windows, you let me damn all the times!*
    JuliusBorisov