Skip to content

Existing BG2 mods and BG2EE

DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Not asking about whether they'll be usable with the first release, since the answer is almost certainly 'no'. I'm more curious about whether the BGEE team has considered contacting some of the mod creators and asking permission to use some of their work. BG2 now has literally over a decade worth of modding attached to it, some of it superb stuff, and while the greater proportion of it probably violates the idea that they can't change the core of the game too much, a lot of it simply does exactly what BG2EE seems set on doing: enhancing what is already there.

For example, Sword Coast Stratagems, which makes the game quite a bit more challenging. While there are a wide variety of optional components that would probably be dropped, as they DO change core elements of the game, the major idea of making the enemies in the game not act like complete fools is a superb one for an Enhanced Edition. It changes nothing but how your enemies fight you; they start using their spells more intelligently, drinking healing potions, using wands, and so forth.

I haven't played Baldur's Gate Trilogy in awhile, when I did I couldn't imagine playing it without mods like SCS. They improved the game a whole lot.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The short answer is that they already have.

Many of the more well-known modders are either already on the Beta team or have been contacted directly by the developers to get input on how to make things easier on modders.

Others, like Erephine's 1PP, are being incorporated directly into the game (or at least elements of it).

As for mod compatibility, there will definitely be some work that needs to be done, but as long as the modder or modders are still actively working on it, you shouldn't have to wait too long before a BG:EE compatible version is released.
  • Aosaw said:

The short answer is that they already have.

Many of the more well-known modders are either already on the Beta team or have been contacted directly by the developers to get input on how to make things easier on modders.

Others, like Erephine's 1PP, are being incorporated directly into the game (or at least elements of it).

As for mod compatibility, there will definitely be some work that needs to be done, but as long as the modder or modders are still actively working on it, you shouldn't have to wait too long before a BG:EE compatible version is released.

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

Reinventing the wheel when resources are probably already not exactly overflowing would have been monumentally pointless.

Apologies if things like this keep getting brought up. I've read the FAQ and checked some of the features, but I've only just discovered this project.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Things like this it's nice to be able to remind people about. I wouldn't want people to think that the enhanced edition won't work with mods the way the old game did, but at the same time it is going to take a little bit of work to make sure everything "plays nice".