Skip to content

Game randomly crashes after changing monitors.

TaedinTaedin Member Posts: 2
I'm running NWN EE on a Windows 10 PC through Steam, and I've started experiencing a strange problem. When I run the game in my usual setup with my big 40" TV as a monitor, everything runs like a dream. When I change to a smaller monitor, suddenly the game will crash every 30 seconds to a minute! (Disclaimer, I do use the CEP, but again, everything runs fine on the TV!) I'm running the DM client sort of as a virtual tabletop for our weekly Pathfinder game, so the TV I usually use as my monitor is being used for the players so they can see what's going on. I find it very strange that the problem occurs with the OLD 1440x900 resolution monitor, and not the 1920x1080 TV! I've tried updating my video drivers, changing the resolution, running in windowed mode, using another 1080p monitor... nothing. The only time I have no problems is when I'm using my TV.

There must be a reason for this, but Orcus take me if I can figure out what it is. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can share, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's going on.

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Have you tried changing the resolution on your PC or letting it auto-detect the monitor? I haven't heard of this problem before.

Please file a bug report and we can have someone look into it.
  • TaedinTaedin Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2018
    Figures I'd have to be a 'special case.'

I have tried changing the resolution in-game and on the desktop, the latter didn't seem to do much as the game just defaults to whatever it's last-set resolution was. I'm not sure what you mean by auto-detecting my monitor... I'm only using one screen at a time, monitor or TV, so it "auto-detects" whatever settings are the default for that particular monitor. If there's something else I could be trying there, please enlighten me!

I did actually file a report on the redmine site, although this was before I narrowed the problem down to specifically being my monitor and just knew it was 'something' about the change in setup. I attached three of the crash files I have (I have so very many...), should I make an update to that?

I wanted to avoid it, but I may have to try just reinstalling the game itself and see if that fixes anything. If nobody else is having this problem, that definitely leads me to wonder if my install didn't just bugger up in some bizarre fashion.

Edit - There is a new and ever more bizarre wrinkle. On a whim, I tried running my computer with both my TV and monitor plugged in and ran the game in windowed mode on the smaller monitor. NO PROBLEMS. My NWN is perfectly content so long as my TV is plugged into the computer. This is true regardless of which of them is set as the primary monitor. I find myself thoroughly baffled.

Further Edit - Reinstalled NWN, same problem.
    Post edited by Taedin on
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Sorry to hear the problem is persisting. Please do update your ticket with any new information you have on the issue.
  • AndergastAndergast Member Posts: 2
    I have Windows 10 with two grafik cards. One is Nvidia 650 and the other Nvidia 1070. First I changed the monitor output cable from the nvida 1070 to the nvidia 650 Card. By that the time the crash accours extended from 30 seconds to one minute. Then i changed the open AL handling in the Nvidia Control Panel from automatic handling to nvidia 650 card. Now my game seems to work. At least for 15 minutes so far.