Skip to content

Download speed falls to 0

pipkin42pipkin42 Member Posts: 3
I'm using the Beamdog Client on OSX 10.11.6, trying to download SoD. It will start out at a pretty good clip, 300 kbps or more, but within a minute or so the download will fall rapidly, eventually hitting 0. If I close the client and reopen I can get a few more seconds of downloading, but then it doesn't work. I had to limp through BG1, which took over an hour of babysitting (and it's half the size of SoD). My firewall is set to allow Beamdog Client to accept connections.

I've been Googling for a while, but nothing seems to match this exact problem. Thanks!

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but have you checked you've got the hard disk space to download the file?
    JuliusBorisov
  • pipkin42pipkin42 Member Posts: 3
    I definitely do--the client actually checks. I've got around 10 gigs, and the file is around 4.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    It still sounds like a disk issue. There's a couple of possibilities for that:
    1) Does your hard disk use FAT32 as its file system (check by right-clicking and selecting properties)? FAT32 has a size limit of 4GB on downloaded files, though you can get round that by splitting the files into chunks (I would have expected the Beamdog Client to do that, but I'm not sure if it does).
    2) There might be space for the downloaded file, but the process also needs working memory in addition which may be causing you a problem. Can you free up more space temporarily to see if that helps?
    JuliusBorisov
  • pipkin42pipkin42 Member Posts: 3
    1. It's on the default OS X format, which I believe is HFS+
    2. That's a possibility, I'll look into it. Thanks.
    JuliusBorisov