Skip to content

Couldn't wait...

styggastygga Member Posts: 467
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
...So I bought BG1 from GOG.com. I preordered BGEE, but an extra ten bucks to be able to play BG (I don't have any copies from years ago, all lost :(. ) Was completely worth not having to wait all that time to play this game again. Got excited back in August back when I first saw this coming out and got tired of waiting. Hopefully it works. Anyone else do the same?

Comments

• RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I htink most people on here are playing BG2 to feed their BG appetite...
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    edited September 2012
    Haha yeah I wish I could. I downloaded the bg2 demo a few days ago just to get some BG in... but it didn't work. I reached a breaking point, and decided ten dollars for two months is better than me buying a new game for my ps3 at 65 and playing it for three weeks... :)

That and I've got tomorrow and friday off of work... So now's a great time to be downloading and getting a BG binge in!

Edit. I only played BG1 back when I was like ten-twelve... I didn't have the discipline to play one character long enough to get past chapter four... So this is going to be a brand new experience for me as I'm going to play the whole game and finally finish the first one.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I'm going to booth up Icewind Dale 1 to take my mind of BGEE.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Still playing my white label copy - just got into Baldur's gate with my most recent druid.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I don't see anything wrong with dipping into the old CD archives for your fix. I would recommend rolling with any of the Infinity Engine games not named Baldur's Gate (or ToSC), if only to keep the sense of adventure fresh when the Enhanced Edition rolls out. Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape: Torment, and even Baldur's Gate 2, all make for great placeholders for the classic we're all waiting for.
    I will add that I did purchase the Diamonds of D&D collection from GOG.com, while still maintaining my pre-order here. I do have all of the games on CD in their original jewel cases, too. I like to support this kind of game in every way I can. I even donated some cash to the Project Eternity on Kickstarter.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm playing faster than light which I got on gog to sooth my appetite until bg1ee comes out.
    I know this is off topic but while on the topic of tiding us over, has anyone tried Legend of Grimrock? It looks like a serious throwback to the days of map plotting on loose leaf. Also, Divine Divinity and Sacrifice (very different genre) are also great grabs on GOG.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    @Paladin, I have, and I can't find enough words of appreciation for Legend of Grimrock, or Divine Divinity.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Paladin said:

I know this is off topic but while on the topic of tiding us over, has anyone tried Legend of Grimrock? It looks like a serious throwback to the days of map plotting on loose leaf. Also, Divine Divinity and Sacrifice (very different genre) are also great grabs on GOG.

Yeah, I have. It's very similar to the old Eye of the Beholder games from the early 90s. If you enjoyed those, or stuff like Dungeon Keeper and Bard's Tale, you'll like Legend of Grimrock.

Some of the mechanics are very different from AD&D, and this kind of game was always just as focused on solving puzzles as it was combat.

Personally, I found it well worth the $15, and even though it's pretty short, with a few playthroughs I managed to squeeze 70 hours out of it (which was probably excessive. Most people will get maybe 15-20).

If you buy it, hit up their official forums. There's a couple of threads there with Baldur's Gate portrait packs that you can import into the game.

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Brude said:

Paladin said:

Yeah, I have. It's very similar to the old Eye of the Beholder games from the early 90s. If you enjoyed those, or stuff like Dungeon Keeper and Bard's Tale, you'll like Legend of Grimrock.

Some of the mechanics are very different from AD&D, and this kind of game was always just as focused on solving puzzles as it was combat.

Personally, I found it well worth the $15, and even though it's pretty short, with a few playthroughs I managed to squeeze 70 hours out of it (which was probably excessive. Most people will get maybe 15-20).

If you buy it, hit up their official forums. There's a couple of threads there with Baldur's Gate portrait packs that you can import into the game.

I agree completely. legend of Grimrock have been game of the year so far for me!
    It's a throwback to The Good old Days of Dungeon Master and, as you say Eye of the Beholder, both of which I played to death and loved, only this game have very impressive graphics.

If you're looking to get some more mileage out of the game, their Dungeon Editor just went into Beta this month, so we're sure to get some mods to play with in the coming months.
    Also, If you haven't tried to play the game through with Toorum, you're in for a treat...

Highly recommended!
    edited September 2012
    Got off work, finished installing, patched the game, and now time to play. I'll probably be back on the forums in a couple weeks when I come up for air haha. Gonna play through at least once without any mods, just to get that old experience. And to actually finish the game for once. Super excited. Rolling a mage.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I Just realized that you don't patch the GOG game. Reinstalling now haha.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    I'm actually not. I don't own 1 or 2 (my parents threw them out when they spring cleaned our computer room when I was gone), and I figure I'll wait for it and play other games in the mean time.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    stygga said:

Got off work, finished installing, patched the game, and now time to play. I'll probably be back on the forums in a couple weeks when I come up for air haha. Gonna play through at least once without any mods, just to get that old experience. And to actually finish the game for once. Super excited. Rolling a mage.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I Just realized that you don't patch the GOG game. Reinstalling now haha.

If you need any help feel free to post here on the general forums. People are generally full of helpful opinions here. There is of course always gog's forums, but I find this one to be more active with threads.
    Hah yeah, I googled "gog baldurs gate asking for disc" and the first thing I found was a forum post "DO NOT INSTALL THE PATCH" soo, I just had to reinstall, I'm up and running and just killed greywolf in the mines area ;).
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I've had the GOG games, both of them, for some time now.
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    I got BG1 from GOG to pass the time but then realized that I couldn't install tutu while I had a modded up BG2 install. So I'll have to finish my current BG2 before starting BG1, which could take me all the way to BGEE depending on work and how much time is sucked up by Out of the Park Baseball 13 (I will save the 2012 Red Sox!)
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited September 2012
    @Beetle Save your time. NOTHING can save the Red Sox anymore...

Just wait 'til next year!!

-a fan
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

I'm going to booth up Icewind Dale 1 to take my mind of BGEE.

Playing it now!