Skip to content

What is the best Human or Half human half elf Tank class?

And how should I go about building him?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Not many enemies will be able to hit an enraged berserker wearing full plate and using a magic shield.

If you want to go in for a bit more preparation then a fighter/mage can be just as effective (or more so towards the end of the game if you've acquired stoneskin). To get the best value from them as a tank though you need to not only use buffs, but regularly put armor on and off - to do that safely you either need good meta-knowledge or scout ahead with an invisible or stealthed character.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Given that the half-elves big advantage over other classes is their ability to multiclass it makes sense to go that route and build a fighter/mage.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited March 2018
    Cavalier. The paladin kits are all damn good, but as a tank, the cavalier excels. You give up missile weapons (no ig deal for a tank), you have the alignment restriction, but you get:
    1. Paladin benefits, like Lay on Hands, Protection from Evil, etc
    2. Added resistance to fire, acid, etc
    3. Poison immunity
    4. Fear immunty
    5. Remove fear
    6. Combat bonuses vs demons and dragons (not a big deal in BG1, but later, ...)
    You can make a good case for the Inquisitor, and the Undead Hunter rocks in certain places in later games, but from start to finish in BG1, the cavalier is a really strong tank and requires very little management.

EDIT: make sure that, for your build, you have 18/xx strength and high constitution; dexterity can be dealt with somewhat early in the game. Since 17+ charisma is required, you might as well make it 18 for certain small bonuses (quests, buying & selling, etc). The weapn can be anything, really, but for BG1 longsword is a good option, as is battle axe (you can use throwing axes, though I don’t as it feels like a cheat; YMMV), and two-handed sword has its advantages as well. Sword and Shield works for BG1. If you take the character through later games, Two-Handed proficiency and Dual Wield work, but make sure you choose one that matches your other weapon proficiencies.

• NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited May 2018
    For human I'd recommend Berserker/Cleric dual class if your going to use it the full game or Cavalier for just BGEE alone. Half-Elf I'd go Cleric/Ranger. It's just as versatile as Fighter/Cleric if not better.

With C/R you have the defensive boosts of a Cleric and the Offensive prowess of a Ranger with 2 points in Two weapon-Style from the start! Plus the +4 attack modifier on a racial enemy. If you don't like the flashy two weapons you can always use a shield and invest points in Sword and Shield style. Really you can't go wrong tanking with C/R either offensively or defensively. Besides Bard, and Fighter/Mage/Cleric, Cleric/Ranger is really the only other reason to justify using Half Elf.

For Cavilier the way I'd recommend building it is with 2 points in Axe 1 in Sword & Shield Style and the other in flail. Axe will the the main go to weapon until you get another PIP that can go to flail. Axes will also be your projectile. I'd recommend a bare minimum of 16 Str and 17 Dex with whatever you can spare to go into Const if you want an up close and personal type of fighter otherwise go 17+Str 16+Dex and use throwing axes to clip enemies from a distance.

C/R ideally 17Str 17Dex 17Const bare minimum. For defensive purposes dex higher than str and for offense the opposite. Flail is the go to weap for this dual class. Make sure to stock up on memorized knock spells and watch your char whirlwind through battle while wearing full plate. Ideally to start out 2 pips in flail/morningstar 2 pips in sling with your next lvl up point going into two weapon style. It all depends how you want to use it.

For Berserker/Cleric 5 points in Berserker by the end of BGEE and beginning of BG2EE or SoD. After the 5 then transition immediately into Cleric and put Pips in Sling, Sword&Shield Style and Mace. This is as good as C/R but takes a much longer time to fully develop to the point of tedium.