Looking for your great advice here.
I stepped upon a very nice portrait, it gave me an idea to play evil ranged. This is the picture of a hooded man wearing black clothes, he handles a bow.
Now, when I looked at what classes are good for ranged, there is :
- archer (ranger kit) but cannot play because it's only good-alignment
- fighter, since you can get more than 2 pips in the ranged weapon of choice
- probably blackguard to some extent
So, when looking at fighter, berserker and kensai wouldn't be good because they cannot invest more than 1 pips in bows/crossbows, and the man on the picture is obviously not a berserker. Kensai can be very good at range with daggers, but it would not fit the picture.
I was left with the newest wizardslayer, which looks not so bad since it now inflicts a cumulative miscast 25 % everytime they hit a spellcaster, including when the enemy has mirror image and stoneskin, even if your weapon is ranged (or at least I think this is the case in the current version of the game).
Of course, not being able to use magic equipment besides weapon and armor sounds like a real challenge, but I plan to dual from Wizardslayer 10 -> Thief. It fits well with the evil character flavourwise and I'll ultimately get the UAI HLA, allowing me to use any items. I know it would be considered better to dual at 9, but I like to have exactly 10% magic resistance as a bonus.
Now my question is about proficiencies.
- Is it okay to go with crossbows rather than bows ? I read that the light crossbow of speed makes it viable to play crossbows (it also has a lower speed factor, that's useful against spellcasters). Crossbows also look more evil than bows.
- As I'll be able to get grandmastery in one weapon (maybe even 2 weapons in ToB), which one do you recommend ? Is it worth it to become grandmaster at bows/crossbows ??
- As for my other weapons, I think I'd like to go with daggers, and I was wondering if grandmastery in daggers would not be better than bows/crossbows, since as a melee weapon the pips would give me 1 more APR. It would also make use of my Strength of 19 (after using a tome).
- What other weapons do you recommend when I'm thief ? Should I go Katana, 1H weapon for backstab, 2 weapons style ?
The general idea is to get an improved thief, with better HP, damage and Thac0, useful in fight. Being able to stack magical resistance is also cool.
Thank you very much for your insight!
Happy new year
PS : I'm aware you can get very strong towards the endgame thanks to Carsomyr, and get close to 100% magic resistance, but I don't know yet if I want to cheese in that direction.