Skip to content

Die Rolls: To Show, or Not to Show?

fenixphirefenixphire Member Posts: 2
I'm currently working on a module, and a minor debate has come up with my alpha playtester: Is it more enjoyable for a player to see the rolls made in a conversation, or for them to be hidden? I'm curious as to which is the more popular view, so please let me know how you feel about it. Thanks!

Comments

• DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited May 2018
    I like to see the rolls, myself. If its excluded, it makes me wonder if its an actual check or if its just giving the illusion of possible success: am I failing because of bad rolls, or failing because the module designer doesn't want me to anyway? Without being able to see them, I won't be able to tell, which isn't a good feeling to have. I doubt this is what you're doing, but being able to actually see my skill being taken into account is beneficial in creating a level of legitimacy in the module and allow me to vent my frustration at RNG than the module itself.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2018
    nm. Was thinking more PW rp event type rolls.
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    You could always provide it as an option instead of just going one way or the other.
  • fenixphirefenixphire Member Posts: 2
    pscythe said:

You could always provide it as an option instead of just going one way or the other.

I am already making my rest system something you can opt in or out of, so I don't know why it did not occur to me to do the same with the rolls. Just a few more lines of code, so easy to add! Thank you!