Skip to content

gameplay options - no additional damage incurred above core rules

Just got back into the ee versions and a new gameplay option refers to not receiving additional damage on higher difficulty levels. I'm trying to picture how this works, is it that I can play harder difficulties with higher spawn rates, additional hp etc but this option will ensure that no extra damage is applied.

Has anyone used this option ?

Comments

• the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited May 2018
    Hard and Insane up the damage that enemies do. If you disable the difficulty based damage then it won't be any different than playing on core rules. I think the main purpose of this option is for people who want an experience that is harder than insane but find LOB mode to be a little too harsh. LOB mode has enemies with extra HP, better THAC0, saving throws and higher level skills including more APR. The difficulty based damage is double damage in this mode so you can disable it and still have all of the other buffs for the enemies. LOB mode will only have more enemy spawns in the SOD campaign so don't expect them in the rest of the series. All of the enemy buffs will remain consistent throughout the series.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    I use this option religiously in Icewind Dale-- in fact, "Insane difficulty with the extra experience and extra damage turned off" is pretty much the only way I play anymore. But Icewind Dale is a bit of a different beast because changing the difficulty radically changes the entire tenor of the spawns. It's not like "this encounter with six goblins is now an encounter with twelve goblins". It's "this encounter with six goblins is now complicated by the addition of three goblin archers across the river peppering you with arrows and forcing you to split your party to deal with divergent threats". Or "This encounter with six goblins is now an encounter with twelve goblins, but now they're approaching your party from both sides putting pressure on your party's back row".

BG1 and BG2 never really took advantage of strategic possibilities like that; for the most part, the way they approached increased difficulty was just bigger numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.