Skip to content

Jaheira solo divine caster?

Hello,

At the moment i am doing an evil run, but i am already considering my next run.

The current one is becoming somewhat boring. So i want to mix it up. I eant to do a party with npcs i dont take much.

The run is going to be good or neutral or a combination.

I want to play with a party of 5. Taking a 6th member when doing quests.

Charname is going to be a fighter/thief multi. This because i dont like the thiefs npcs or have taken them in my party too often.

Minsc, because it has been ages since i had him in my party and i never let him dual wield. Gonna do it this time.

Haer'dalis. Because i only had him once in my party.

That leaves 2 spots open. 1 divine and 1 arcane.

Thinking of Neera for arcane. Only had her once in my party.

Only problem seems divine. I know jaheira is capable and i would like to let her dual wield. Blackblood and belm. There is also Anomen. But his weapons gonna interfere with minsc. I want minsc at flail and maces.

Any thougts on divine? I could make a custom character but that lacks banter and personal quests.

With regards. DeeKayNL

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Jaheira has pretty often been my sole divine caster. I don't think it makes things any more difficult.
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    I guess you are using Minsc in that tank-build with that flail, armour of faith and hardiness. From a pure powergame-perspective I'd rather use Dorn, but then again associating with him feels like associating with a spree killer or school-shooter.

Ano have that quest that upgrades his wisdom from a rather pedestrian 12 to 16, though if you are not romancing him the quest look half-baked. I tend to like to use him as my holy handgrenade with PfE10 and Remove Fear as cornerstone spells. And his undead minions as the sauce to beat mind flayers, but thats just me. His main weakness other than his toxic personality seems to be the wasted weapon profiencies of spear and quarterstaff. Oh and his paltry morale, you don't want him to try to be holy handgrenade without Remove Fear, or he will be telling you that they will finish this another day and run around in fear.
  • DeeKayNLDeeKayNL Member Posts: 110
    Thank you for both your answers.

Yes i am planning to let minsc use that flail and the defender flail.
    I had Dorn in my current run but didnt like the character very much.

In regards to the undead army against the mindflayers. That doesn't seem to be worming anymore in bg2ee. Skeletons die imidiatly against mindflayers.
    Only thing that helped me was the mage spell ghat summons a sword to your side. I think its called mordekains sword. And prepping my fighters with improved invisibility. Seems the mindflayer cant hit them hard enough so no sucking brains.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Druids serve just fine as a party's only divine caster. I broke down what divine spells druids and clerics lost out on at each level. From a spells available standpoint, druids really don't lose out on much, especially past the first three spell levels.

The bigger problem is whether MULTICLASS Druids work as the only divine caster. This is a much bigger ask, because you're looking at 6m experience to reach level 15. Which means you're basically at the end stages of Throne of Bhaal before you get a third level 6 or a second level 7 spell slot.

Given that you can beat the trilogy without any divine casters at all, Jahiera alone will certainly be sufficient. But from a quality-of-life standpoint, I'd wager you'll have several points where the limited number of spells per day feels like a major nuisance.

For instance, Chaotic Commands is a phenomenal spell to toss on your tank whenever you're about to run into an area where you know mind-affecting abilities will be in play. But Jahiera will have at most three level 5 spell slots available for most of the game, and that will be competing for those slots with Iron Skins and Insect Plague, so... I mean, you probably just won't have access to it.
    Potions comes to mind instead of chaotic commands, even though they have their mettle I still prefer potion of clarity or invulnerability. Same with that potion that gives +3 dex and int. Brilliant potion if you are facing a tougher battle. And I give her a few iron skins, even though its not as good as it once were with that new extended casting time. Still I use Insect plague a heck of a lot with her.
    Still thinking about it. Anomen seems more and more the choice i am gonna make. Just have to ditrsribute weapons between him and Minsc.

I want my f/t to dual wield longswords and katana.
    Minsc dual wield maces and flail or axes
    Anomen hammers and flails??
    Haer'dalis short sword and something else. Scimitar maybe?

I was thinking also giving minsc a long bow and haerdalis a sbortbow. Just for some ranged damage if needed.
    Jaheaira works just fine as the solo divine caster. I almost never use clerics. Honestly, once you get Insect Plague, you have won 90% of the fights in the game with very little risk.
    ThacoBell said:

Jaheaira works just fine as the solo divine caster. I almost never use clerics. Honestly, once you get Insect Plague, you have won 90% of the fights in the game with very little risk.

And how is her late game weapons with dual wielding? I know the blackblood club and the spectral brand but that one isnt even sure if you get it.
    You must play a game of cards for it.
    Yeah i know but i usually lose.. And reloading doesnt work i think.
    edited May 2018
    The scrolls are nifty but little else. Just go for the weapon or whatever it is called. You need a few savegames in order to pull through with this.

The second game must be for the gem, he will win the third despite the nifty mind-shield you will get for it half the time.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    reloading does work, but since there's only 2 different outcomes you can go quite a few failures when the RNG is against you hehe
    Ok will do that for next run. Can jaheira get 3 pips in dual wielding?
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    You could always have Anomen use Crom, and still have Minsc DW flail and mace..

Or have Aerie don the robe of veccna and heal so fast it's borderline hilarious.

Or you could grab Cernd.. for.. well.. i can't think of a reason, he's just insufferable.

Jaheira is a solid choice though.. she can melee dps, she can tank, she can heal, she can buff and make enemy casters defense/pointless with insect swarms etc, she's quite probably one of the most versatile NPC we can get.. but she never really excells at anything, fairly good at everything but there's nothing she can do, that another npc couldn't do better.. still, she's fun enough.
    @DeeKayNL I usually have her go with Staff of the Ram. If you wanna dual wield, Spectral Brand and Belm are probably your best powergamey choice if you really wanna dual wield with her.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Well nothing is set in stone. Just wanted a different experience thus time around. I found slings to be.. How do i put it.. Kinda boring?

I think ill try jaheira or anomen dual wielding. Just for the fun of it. Im not looking to powergame. Just want a fun experiende eith weapons i normally dont use. Except the flail which is a staple.
    Well my new run is coming sooner than expected. My current TOB run is corrupt. I have slain Gromnir and did the first test of the pocketplane. After that i went to Watchers Keep to level 5. Then i went back to pocket plane. Then after letting cespenar create stuuf for me when i go out of the pocket plane i get the first animationvideo of entering Saradush and the first conversation with mellisan and the guards.... weird.......
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Jaheira is easily a better choice than Anomen at high levels because only she can access fighter HLAs which are among the best in the game. She's also able to cast a few cleric-only spells like raise dead (called Harper's Call in her case). All in all, she's a very solid choice to be a party's sole divine caster.
    Thanks for your answer. As it seems I got some more time to think as i found an earlier save game and the bug was gone :)
    BTW for my new run i was considering some mods.

I have 3 mods in mind but i dont know how they wil effect my pleasure off the game.

1. I would like to install Chateau Irenicus for not having to do that first dungeon again.
    2. I was thinking of the Itemupgrade mod. But i dont want to make it ridiculus. Just some more options. Especially for jaheira.
    3. SCS? I know in my current run i went thought it easy. Even mages are no problem. But my concenr is it will be too difficult for me. Any advice on this one?