Skip to content

AI scripts not running even when "Party AI On" is selected

For some new characters, certain AI scripts don't seem to run even when I have Party AI On. Specifically, after I picked up Imoen beneath Spellhold, she wouldn't automatically detect traps even though that script is selected and party AI is on; and after I picked up Sarevok at the beginning of ToB, he won't do anything even though Party AI is on (I have his AI set to attack enemies and nothing else). Other characters I have (Minsc, Mazzy, Jaheira) seem to work fine [with AI set to attack enemies and nothing else). I didn't experience this problem in BG1 or Siege of Dragonspear.

I've looked on the forums but most issues related to AI I found are either telling people to turn on party AI (which I already have done) or saying complicated scripts are useless and we should only use the most basic ones (which I already am doing); I haven't found a post on this specific issue. And it's kind of a pain when fighting through a mob of kobolds to have to pause every second and select a new target for someone, so it would be great if I could figure out how to get the "attack enemies" script working again.

Thanks!

Comments

• HenryNYHenryNY Member Posts: 42
    rjanag said:

she wouldn't automatically detect traps even though that script is selected and party AI is on; and after I picked up Sarevok at the beginning of ToB, he won't do anything even though Party AI is on (I have his AI set to attack enemies and nothing else). Other characters I have (Minsc, Mazzy, Jaheira) seem to work fine [with AI set to attack enemies and nothing else). I didn't experience this problem in BG1 or Siege of Dragonspear.

Here's what i ran into and what i did:

(1) Switch to a script that reads like Thief Adventurer. After it works, switch back to Advanced AI. I "fixed" the same issue with Hexxat by doing that.

(2) Sarevok (F->M) never, ever auto casts Stoneskin, like every other mage does, with Advanced AI. He does use his weapon on his own, like every warrior does, after I repeatedly set his script to Standard or the like.

(3) It looks to me that once a script works, it always works. So to me, the issue often is how to get a script work the first time.

There are also other issues between certain other NPCs and AI scripts. For example, I haven't figured out a way to have Rasaad auto attack with his fists.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I don't use scripts myself, but it seems curious to me that the two characters you refer to are those you pick up changed versions for later in the game. What happens if you set their AI script (record screen - customize - script) to something else and then back again?
  • rjanagrjanag Member Posts: 2
    Thanks both, that did it! (In BG1 I remember I had fixed some similar issue by switching an option on and off just within the Advanced AI options, which I had tried with this and it didn't work; but switching to one of the totally other AIs [Thief Adventurer, Standard Attack] and then back to Advanced AI, as you suggested, took care of it.)
    Grond0