Skip to content

Help With 1st Build BGEE

Hi want to make a build but not sure what to do never played BG before but I have played other CRPGS Like POE DOS DOS2 DAO etc. Id like to do a melee character (dwarf race) but id also like to have a few spells or skills. I did a little research and people tended to say a fighter cleric is a good class and to me that sounds fun but I dont know what my base stats should be for that build or what weapon proficients I should take could I please get some advice. Thanks in advance

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Hi :)

A Fighter/Cleric (F/C) seems to fit nicely on your requests. A pureclass Cleric is not entirely useless on melee, but undoubtedly a F/C hits better and harder.

As a F/C, the stats you'll need Wisdom (the higher the better - you can cast more spells per day), Strength and Constitution.

For Dwarves, Constitution gives a nice bonus to your saving throws (something that helps you resist some nice effects like poisoning). It is what people call shorty saves.

BGEE has a nice hammer and a nice mace. My build would start with Warhammer and Slings (as missile damage is very important in this game - for both you and your enemies).

If you're willing to mod your game, I have a mod that adds a kit that would fit your character very well (Alaghar of Clangeddin).

A kit is like a class within a class (sorry if I'm saying obvious thing, IDK how new you're to this game).
    ThacoBelldunbar
  • ImmortalZoddImmortalZodd Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the advice ! Would I want much dex charisma or int also are warhammers mace proficiency? also two handed or should I go weapon and shield ?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    High dex is good. Doex determines your armor class (chance to get hit) which is basically everything for melee as armors have no damage reduction, only hit chance. It also affects accuracy with ranged weapons.

Do you want to be more damage, or more defense?

For stat importance, I'd go:

1.Wisdom
    2.Constitution (dwarves best strength)
    3. Dex for defense or Strength for damage
    4. Whatever you didn't pick for 3.

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    Warhammer and Maces are proficiencies, indeed.

As Fighter/Cleric the only two-handed weapon you can use is quarterstaff, so I would go with Sword and Shield or Two-Weapon. The last one is a favorite in this community.

You don't really need Intelligence for this character. Dexterity can help you by lowering your AC and giving you some bonuses to hit things with a sling.

Charisma can be useful when buying things because they become cheaper but in BGEE money rarely is a problem. It may help you in the early start but will lose importance not so far ahead on the campaign.
    ThacoBell
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    What kind of spells though?? Are you looking to heal yourself, or do you wanna do damage with them?? Cleric is nice for the healer role, but their attack spells aren't that great (but you're also a fighter so no worry there).. But one of the mage types will let you blast things with magic missiles, sleep, fireball, etc.. Just can't heal to save their lives unless its by drinking a potion..
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Raduziel said:

You don't really need Intelligence for this character.

Just a slight caveat on this - you need a minimum intelligence of 9 to be able to use wands, scrolls and many magic items. Although that's not essential for a fighter/cleric, I would imagine you'd like to be able to use wands.
    RaduzielThacoBell
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Whilst all of the advice above is very sound don't expect to get it 'right' (whatever your personal definition of right is) first time around. For me the beauty of the game is that you learn more about it with each playthrough and not just the game mechanics but also about your personal skills/preferences as a player. So basically, expect to die a lot in your first game and think of it as a very steep learning curve.
    RaduzielThacoBelllost1
    ThacoBell said:

High dex is good. Doex determines your armor class (chance to get hit) which is basically everything for melee as armors have no damage reduction, only hit chance. It also affects accuracy with ranged weapons.

1.Wisdom

would these be good stats for a viable fighter cleric

strg 18
    dex 10
    con 16
    in 10
    wis 18
    chris 8

should I change anything or is this fine ?
    dunbar said:

Whilst all of the advice above is very sound don't expect to get it 'right' (whatever your personal definition of right is) first time around. For me the beauty of the game is that you learn more about it with each playthrough and not just the game mechanics but also about your personal skills/preferences as a player. So basically, expect to die a lot in your first game and think of it as a very steep learning curve.

I just want to make sure my character is actually viable dosent have to be perfect but I do like to min ma
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

ThacoBell said:

1.Wisdom

would these be good stats for a viable fighter cleric

strg 18
    dex 10
    con 16
    in 10
    wis 18
    chris 8

should I change anything or is this fine ?
    Yeah that's viable, honestly, little in this game isn't, which is great. You might not want your character to be the first into melee range with that dex though. You won't get any penalties, but skilled opponents will have an easier time hitting you. There is something interesting about Dwarven constitution that could be helpful but is a little spoilery. No story spoilers, but a unique item.

A dwarf can have 19 con naturally. At 20 con, a character gets slow regeneration. Not combat helpful, but it will fully heal you when resting or travelling long distances. There is a single magic item that can be used to raise con by 1 point.