Skip to content

Import modded BG:EE to BG2:EE

NiggeyNiggey Member Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in General Modding
Hey guys!
I wonder what happens if I use community (non-official) mods for BG:EE and if next year BG2:EE comes out, I try to import my hero/group into BG2:EE. Are these two games "compatible"?
The great advantage of BWP/Tutu is that it fuse BG1 and BG2 into one huge game. So all mods I use apply to both games.
Do I need to mod both games with the same mods, even if the mods only involve BG1 content, or does this apply only to mods that change the characters (like change Edwin to a lawful good Paladin)?
The big question is whether BG2:EE is like an huge addon for BG1:EE or a seperate game. But then: can I install BG2:EE over my modded BG1:EE?
The worst thing that could happen would be that I finished BG1:EE and I can't import my group in BG2:EE...
Maybe I should wait with modding BG1:EE until BG2:EE hits the stores?
I would be interested to know if all the BG1:EE mods need to be changed again with BG2:EE.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    If you mean just export modded saves from BG:EE to BG2:EE that shouldn't be a problem since those games will in all likelihood use the same architecture. This would be akin to Tutu where you have two installations using the same engine. This means that some stuff (unless explicitly fixed in EE) is reset upon starting BG2, like NPC levels, proficiencies, dual classing, spellbooks, stat increases etc.

If you mean merging them into one installation like BGT that keeps track of everything, this would by all accounts not be doable unless you had both games installed from the beginning together with all the mods. So for that you would have to wait for BG2:EE and for a BGT-like mod to be ready. Even if BG2:EE was developed to be installed on top of BG1:EE to make it one installation, you would most likely have to reinstall all mods from scratch to get them to work together.

I wouldn't say you need to wait though. Mod away, and if you lawful good Edwin doesn't export to BG2:EE, you can still use an editor to make him that way in accordance with your outcome of the first game.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I would think that if you import a save that you would use the assets from the unmodded game, so there should be no compatibility breakage. Any items changed by the mods would just use the default value.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    If you use mods in bg:ee and there is no compatibility mod for bg2:ee then obviously it may break.
    Note that most of the mods don't add new spells, or if they do, it is quite easy to port the spells over to the next game.
    Items/quests are not an issue, as they are wiped when moving to bg2ee.
    You will need a compatible spell/kit in bg2:ee, though.

But if someone took the effort to convert their bg1 mod to bgee and they had a compatible bg2 mod, they will surely port that too. And if they had no such mod, then it would be broken anyway