Skip to content

Is there anything I really should not miss before starting chapter 7?

Asking from the perspective that I couldn't return to the main map after it starts and before the game will be over.

Comments

• ANOFANOF Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2018
    It's not a 'not miss' in terms of being crucial or worth seeing, but if you sided with Aran Linvail, you can have a fun little fight and gain some XP by cleaning out the Shadow Thieves. It's not a lot of XP at the point, but every little helps.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Speaking as a compulsive completionist, *ahem* DOEVERYTHINGLEAVENOTHINGBEHIND! I hope that helps.
    RaduzielGreenWarlockStummvonBordwehr
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2018
    What does your party look like and what quests did you (not) do so far?

Imo, just make sure you have gathered all the items that really help your party. Belm, Kundane, dex gauntlets, carsomyr, ring of gaxx and boots of speed come to mind.. but it depends on your party.
    ANOF said:

It's not a 'not miss' in terms of being crucial or worth seeing, but if you sided with Aran Linvail, you can have a fun little fight and gain some XP by cleaning out the Shadow Thieves. It's not a lot of XP at the point, but every little helps.

Well there is one good reason to do this: Renal Bloodscalp drops a pair of boots of speed that you can't steal.
    Personally I don't kill him for roleplaying reasons, but it is a tempting option and in chapter 6 it is safe to do.
    Post edited by borntodie on
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Have you built all the items from Cromwell? Obtaining the parts to From Faeyr will take you to some interesting places. Similarly, there areas least two (optionally three) dragons you could have slain by now.

Have you acquired the Staff of the Magi?
    Or the Ring of Gaxx?

I am naming items without giving away quest lines as I don't know how spoiler-free we want to be.
    lnstructor
  • lnstructorlnstructor Member Posts: 20

Have you built all the items from Cromwell? Obtaining the parts to From Faeyr will take you to some interesting places. Similarly, there areas least two (optionally three) dragons you could have slain by now.

Have you acquired the Staff of the Magi?
    Or the Ring of Gaxx?

I am naming items without giving away quest lines as I don't know how spoiler-free we want to be.

Gee none of these, I hope these quests are not involving Watcher's Keep because the statues in the first level seem too hard for me.
    GreenWarlock
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    There's a house with a trapped and locked door, next to Mai-Var's (or perhaps yours by now) thieves guild, dispatch the 3 guards upstairs then examine the sarcophagus in the basement...

Take a Rogue Stone, examine a certain door in the bridge district, very close to the house with the man in Red and the kidnapped noble, remove the trap and lock on the door and the rogue stone will trigger when opened...

Note that in both cases you will have some of the toughest fights possible in Athkatla...and 2 of the best items in the game should you prevail :)
    Borek said:

There's a house with a trapped and locked door, next to Mai-Var's (or perhaps yours by now) thieves guild, dispatch the 3 guards upstairs then examine the sarcophagus in the basement...

Take a Rogue Stone, examine a certain door in the bridge district, very close to the house with the man in Red and the kidnapped noble, remove the trap and lock on the door and the rogue stone will trigger when opened...

Note that in both cases you will have some of the toughest fights possible in Athkatla...and 2 of the best items in the game should you prevail :)

I got annihilated in there.
    Borek

Borek said:

I got annihilated in there.
    Yeah i was serious when i said tough fights haha. Couple of Tips:

Bridge room tactics:
    Shandalar spawns when you enter the larger circular room, so you can pre-buff safely in the smaller entrance room. Note that Summons do NOT trigger the Lich to appear and the encounter to start, so you can also summon and pre-buff PLUS place them strategically in the main room using Wizard Eye spell so you can see the area without entering. Additionally this works for projected images, so you can use several to set up skull traps, thief traps (if m/t or f/m/t) etc all in advance.

I use this tactic to annihilate the entire room as a Solo on LOB mode (with scs), but even if you just kill the Hive Mother it's a huge advantage as 1 dispel magic ray can easily screw things up haha.

Kangaxx tips:

*This is all for his 2nd Demi-Lich form, you do, of course, have to kill him as a "normal" lich 1st to trigger 2nd form.*

He's immune to 1-8th level spells, has slowish regeneration and will cast Wail of the Banshee or Imprisonment each turn, plus hefty damage reduction, so suffice to say it's gonna take some very specific tactics to kill him. Oh and for good measure you need +4 or greater weapon enchantment to deal any damage with melee lmao.

Wail of the Banshee is a Necromancy spell, Imprisonment is Abjuration, so Spell Immunity: Abjuration (5th level mage spell-self target only) plus either spell immunity: Necromancy, save Vs spells into the negatives or some other means to prevent death magic is required. Special note here regarding Berzerker Rage (not barbarian) since that also provides immunity to Imprisonment, 2nd special note is Imprisonment has no save AND ignores magic resistance so you MUST provide immunity for anyone facing Kangaxx.

Now the single easiest way to kill him is super-cheesy, you send in 1 character using an undead specific weapon such as Daystar, pre-buff with Scroll of Protection from Undead, this will prevent the Lich form or Demi Lich form seeing you, so you can wail away until they are dead, just keep everyone else out of sight or they'll get blapped. Note that some difficulty mods can potentially change undead behavior during Prot.Undead scroll to allow them to use AoE spells, summons etc, so this may not be as effective in some installs.

Non-Cheese tactics involve a FM, FMT, MT using Spell Immunity:Abjuration to prevent imprisonment (or a berzerker rage-Korgan or PC class), Imp haste and/or whirlwinds with Daystar, Improved Mace of Disruption etc. You can also use a thief to pre-trap the room, then use Ring of the Ram as soon as the Demi-Lich spawns using careful positioning to "Punch" Kangaxx into the pile of traps which deal untitled damage type and therefore do not get affected by his damage reduction/immunities, killing him.

Hope this helps
    lnstructor
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354

Gee none of these, I hope these quests are not involving Watcher's Keep because the statues in the first level seem too hard for me.

None involve watcher's keep :)

But if you are struggling on the first floor of the keep, you will likely struggle on a fair few of these original quests too, and probably in the 7th chapter. You might want to explore around a bit, adventuring for the power and glory (but mostly the power!) until you are ready for your final showdown!

If you don't mind me asking, what level is your party? And who have you brought along for the ride?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ANOFANOF Member Posts: 70

Have you tried drawing them into the room with the fireplace one at a time? It can be tricky, but if you can manage it, the statues can be much easier to deal with, presuming you've got good enough weapons.
    The Insect Swarm destroyed my party faster then I could harm them.

But if you are struggling on the first floor of the keep, you will likely struggle on a fair few of these original quests too, and probably in the 7th chapter. You might want to explore around a bit, adventuring for the power and glory (but mostly the power!) until you are ready for your final showdown!

If you don't mind me asking, what level is your party? And who have you brought along for the ride?

Playing core rules with illusionist/thief, I have Korgan, Keldorn, Mazzy, Edwin Aerie. Kevels are 16~, except Keldorn he's 10, but with Carsomyr.
    @GreenWarlock will I be able to import these items when I play ToB?
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112

Who used that insect swarm? It is a really hard-to-counter spell, especially in an unmodded game.
    Are you in the twisted runes room?
    Also, it seems you've missed a lot of side-quests given your group level. It'd be hard to finish ch7 without cheese.
    My suggestion is to clear up all avaliable side-quests, rest and wait (real world time) like half an hour to see if any partymenber have anything to say (except Keldorn killing Edwin, in which case please reload) and return to the Watcher's Keep. Some of those statues are (strangely) vulnerable to skull traps and life-draining magic like vampiric touch. Finish the second level for more exp, the maze on third level is kinda frustrating but the second should be easy if you find the correct way.
    And remerber to buy Firetooth from WK, Robe of Vecna from Adventure's Market, etc.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

@GreenWarlock will I be able to import these items when I play ToB?

ToB is just an expansion of SoA. There's no change of equipment when you get there - at least that's the case in the unmodded game. However, if the statues in Watcher's Keep are using insect swarms on you, you're obviously not playing the unmodded game, but have added something like SCS. That's a great mod, but personally I would suggest that you just play the game unmodded if you've never completed it even once - if you don't know what's coming then the game offers plenty of challenge even unmodded.
    ThacoBelllnstructor
    Joan_Daro said:

Who used that insect swarm? It is a really hard-to-counter spell, especially in an unmodded game.
    Are you in the twisted runes room?
    Also, it seems you've missed a lot of side-quests given your group level. It'd be hard to finish ch7 without cheese.
    My suggestion is to clear up all avaliable side-quests, rest and wait (real world time) like half an hour to see if any partymenber have anything to say (except Keldorn killing Edwin, in which case please reload) and return to the Watcher's Keep. Some of those statues are (strangely) vulnerable to skull traps and life-draining magic like vampiric touch. Finish the second level for more exp, the maze on third level is kinda frustrating but the second should be easy if you find the correct way.
    And remerber to buy Firetooth from WK, Robe of Vecna from Adventure's Market, etc.
    First floor Watcher's Keep.

@GreenWarlock there's no point in discussing Mods with me I don't know what you're referring to and not planning to, I barely find time to finish SoA right now.
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    Borek said:

Is one of those the fight with Gaxx?? If so THAT was the single hardest thing I ever had to do in ANY of the Baldurs Gate's, and probably the majority of the video games Ive ever played hahaha (except maybe the end of the Metroid Prime 1/2). His stupid Time Stop spell is the stupidest ^%$%$^%$&^ thing ever! It took me forever and so much luck to finally beat him.
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112

First floor Watcher's Keep.

@GreenWarlock there's no point in discussing Mods with me I don't know what you're referring to and not planning to, I barely find time to finish SoA right now.

But if you don't have any mods installed, there shouldn't be anything able to cast an insect swarm on the first floor of Watcher's Keep…
    Joan_Daro said:

But if you don't have any mods installed, there shouldn't be anything able to cast an insect swarm on the first floor of Watcher's Keep…

The priest statue cast it twice until I gave up.
    A good tip for the statues (and many other harder mobs) is to use a PC or Familiar, make them invisible, then use them to block a doorway without attacking, mobs will try and get to PC's they can see then get stopped by the invisible creature, allowing the remaining party to massacre them with spells/wands/missile fire whilst they remain blocked in. Obviously in the case of the statues you would need to kill any caster/ranged ones 1st, leave the melee until last.

To be honest for this encounter i always triggered it then ran back into the kitchen room, killed the 1st 2 statues, then for the next part where the rest seem to come as a pack i would kite them into one of the side rooms, usually only 1 or 2 would enter the room at a time. They are very tough though, if you don't have super-high damage it's easy to get overwhelmed.
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110

Borek said:

Is one of those the fight with Gaxx?? If so THAT was the single hardest thing I ever had to do in ANY of the Baldurs Gate's, and probably the majority of the video games Ive ever played hahaha (except maybe the end of the Metroid Prime 1/2). His stupid Time Stop spell is the stupidest ^%$%$^%$&^ thing ever! It took me forever and so much luck to finally beat him.
    A very cheesy way to kill Kangaxx otherwise is to use scrolls of protection vs undead on all your team but 1 for the liche. When the triggered dialogue ends and Kangaxx transforms into a demi-liche, use the last scroll of protection vs undead on your last toon.

The scrolls make your guys 100% invisible to all undeads, including Kangaxx. In other words, the demi-liche just stands there doing absolutely nothing, a squirrel could beat him from there.

You can typically find these scrolls at the Adventure Mart or the bookshop merchant (both in Waukeen's promenade). Save money by going to Kangaxx alone (fire your team members), you'll need only 1 scroll. Then hire your guys again. On the plus side, you don't share the xp.

Adventure Mart sells a staff +4, which is the only weapon you really need for this. Makes the fight a piece of cake, even at low level.