Skip to content

Teleport Spell

RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
If we're going to add some enhanced content, why not teleport?

For those who don't know, teleport is a 5th level wizard spell from 2nd Ed AD&D (the rule set in which Baldur's Gate is based). It teleports the wizard and party from one location to another with varied success depending on how familiar the wizard is with the area he's teleporting to.

This idea has already been commented on in brief. I believe it deserves it's own discussion.

As far as BG:EE goes, I see this spell working as something that brings up the world map, you click on one the the areas there, and you appear in that area instantly.

Personally, I would replace the chance of failure with restrictions that honor the original idea (that it's hard to teleport to places you are unfamiliar with) and help to not break the game or its balance:
1.) It can only teleport you to civilized areas (towns, cities, etc.)
2.) You appear outside in a centralized area (inside the walls of the Friendly Arms, in the town square at Beregost, etc.)
3.) You can only teleport to places (well, cities and towns) that you've visited before.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd support this.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Wasnt it in bg1 already. Dimension Door.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yeah, and Dimension Door was removed from BG2 due to its game-breaking potential to skip over triggers. Trent Oster has said that it won't be in the game.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Roller12 said:

Wasnt it in bg1 already. Dimension Door.

That was the ability to jump across the screen. Teleport would be the ability to complete overland travel to entirely different areas instantaneously. Very good for limping back home.
    Jalily said:

Yeah, and Dimension Door was removed from BG2 due to its game-breaking potential to skip over triggers. Trent Oster has said that it won't be in the game.

Hopefully, if you can't teleport to unvisited areas, there isn't much potential for game breaking for the teleport idea.

Did Oster mean that teleport won't be made, @Jalily, or just dimension door?

Always figured why dimension door wasn't allowed but wasn't sure why they took out cone of cold in the original.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @RomulanPaladin Just Dimension Door.