Skip to content

The miners of Nashkel must be really dedicated...

CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
...they travel 8 hours to work every morning!

Does this count as a bug/oversight?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Lol, never realized that.

Maybe there's a special portal between Nashkel and the mines for the Miners.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    They surely slept in the mines for the realy exhausting days and maybe camped from spring to mid autumn outside?
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I think they might live on sight while they're working.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I always rationalized figured they lived in a village/bunking area somewhere nearby the mine, but still between the maps. It's not like they all need to live in the small village center that is Nashkel in-game, the outskirts would be far more likely.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    What's the point of Nashkel then? I thought its entire purpose was a mining village, plus we know at least one miner lives there because you give his greenstone ring to his widow. A town that took 8 hours to get from center to outskirts would be a metropolis rivalling Baldur's Gate!
  • willbowillbo Member Posts: 7
    Two weeks on Two weeks off. Like real miners.
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    IRL, workers within the mining industry (at least in my country) used to travel for days to reach the mining site. Accomodation existed at site. They worked for weeks or months before heading back to their families. I guess most of the nashkel miners just follow the same pattern as in the real world. Then again, most nations IRL didn't have access to sturdy dwarves. Perhaps they just tend to organize the mining industry a bit differently ;-)
  • ElysElys Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2012
    Also I think slave are always dedicated even if they don't want to. As long as the master's whip is nearby :p
    Else I always assumed they live where they worked most of the time o.O
    Post edited by Elys on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Communard That probably explains why slaves were used in the Cloakwood Forest Mine. I doubt they could convince any group of miners to live such a secluded life (surrounded in the wilderness by spiders and wyvern no less).

The purpose of Nashkel is pretty clear. It is meant to be the hanging out spot of the most important character in all the realms, Noober.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    They all have cars.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Indentured slavery.
    @PhillipDaigle -
    Then why can't my thief steal one? I want cars in the EE! Or will that have to wait for GTA: Waterdeep?
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    @PhillipDaigle -
    Then why can't my thief steal one? I want cars in the EE! Or will that have to wait for GTA: Waterdeep?
    Because whenever a thief gets close they can just drive away.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Did anyone notice they say "It's so dark down here" outside??
    It's because they're blinded by the mining dust and from being underground for too long.

Or perhaps they are just being poetical, talking about their general situation and how depressed they are. Maybe Nashkel has a very strong underground Emo movement.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Maybe they are just delirious from poisonous fumes from mining....