Skip to content

Mod request: stay in SoA after the final battle, choose when to start ToB

_Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
The game automatically starts ToB after you end the final confrontation of SoA. However, I would like to continue to mess around in Amn before going into ToB. Thus it would be available with some sort of character dialogue, like how the transition between BG1 and BG2 was managed in BGT before SoD.
My request is mainly for role-playing reasons:

1) Can't think of a better time for doing the Watcher's Keep, as there are more urgent questions to be solved during ToB, and it is unbalanced for SoA. First levels give you too much XP, money and good gear making SoA trivial, last levels could be too hard during chapter 2 (I don't like leaving quests half-completed for a while and during chapter 6 I don't want to detour from the very urgent main quest just for seeking treasures elsewhere);
2) Even if I usually complete all side quests during chapter 2, some players might still leave some of them because they think that it would take too much time when you are in a hurry for Imoen and you had enough money since weeks;
3) Plot states that CHARNAME spent some time in Suldanesselar before the other Bhaalspawns started to annoy people in ToB and everybody noticed their fuss, but in-game the transition is instantaneous.

Thank you!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    unfortunately cant help with the mod but i give some ideas:

first of all, the quests that opened up in chapter 2, you can always come back to them in chapter 6 and even 7, in fact, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from being underneath suldanesselar killing those parasites ( and as long as you have one left ) you can leave suldanesselar and go back to athkatla if you truly desire

also as far as im aware ( except for some joinable character related quests ) there is absolutely no rush to finish any major quest in the game ( saving imoen, chasing irenicus, saving suldanesselar, ect.. )

but im reading your post again and you did say it was for RP reasons, and ToB makes it pretty clear as to why you didnt stick around suldanesselar for long

but in the meantime just remember you can leave suldanesselar at any point right up until you confront mr irenicus
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Well, unfortunately your ideas don't solve the problem as I already answered to the points made. :( As I already said, for role-playing reasons I don't leave quests uncomplete only to come back later. "WTF, hero? Why are you going away at this point?" It would also be silly for all the enemies to wait in the condition you left them. Imagine them saying "hey CHARNAME smashed half of our dungeon but now he suddenly goes away, we will wait here until he comes back instead of fleeing or reinforcing defences", this completely ruins immersion and breaks the suspension of disbelief.

Besides I don't detour from a very urgent objective: that is, stopping the very bad guy from killing a sacred tree and getting back my soul, just to explore the Watcher's Keep. :) When I talk about rush I'm referring to the main quest: chasing Irenicus. Or, in BG1, think of the final confrontation with Sarevok, you could avoid entering the temple and go rampaging the whole Sword Coast for months and find him gently waiting for you.

If it weren't for these reasons, I wouldn't care. :)

The best timing for the Watcher's Keep is after the end of SoA and before the beginning of ToB. You defeated Irenicus, but didn't have news yet of the Bhaalspawns arising.
    As for now, the only thing I can do is cheating with time advancement (ctrl T) and map loading before Ellesime awakens me, since the journal doesn't update about the defeat of Irenicus. So I can pretend something, but it is forced and a bit annoying.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited August 2018
    One of the better ideas for mods I've come across in a while. I mean, it makes so much more sense for you to go back and finish off a lot of quests and stronghold business AFTER Irenicus is dealt with/you have your soul back/Imoen is rescued, etc.

It would also help the game's narrative cohesion if you add to this a timer for these MAIN PLOT LIFE OR DEATH EVENTS. I've always hated that Bioware in all their silliness sacrificed any real sense of urgency for the sake of enabling you to experience most of the game's content at a stress-free pace. i.e. actually lend a sense of urgency to moving the story forward or else Imoen perishes, and eventually you crumble into the game over screen of doom - make it so you CANNOT afford to dilly dally for months cheesily chasing down every last bit of loot, quest, and xp while Imoen and you are wasting away. Come back to finish stuff up AFTER Hell, if your character feels it's important enough (or is greedy enough) to do so.

Game design decisions like this is why no one will take D&D games too seriously at a narrative level, and the genre after all these decades remains dominated by silly powergame nerdom that's happy to settle for phat xp/loot over a story that makes sense.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2018
    Yeah no lol. If BG2 actually made good on the life or death situations it would dominate the whole game. And it would SUCK.

Having a timer over your head for the entire game that says "GET BACK TO THE MAIN PLOT RIGHT NOW OR GAME OVER" is the definition of railroading and railroading is almost universally agreed to be a flaw in any game.
    edited August 2018
    You're describing precisely the symptom, the reason why it's hard for most people to take things like DnD and most CRPGs as more than just a mindless action packed lolxp/lootfest with a thin hint of a plot that tries not to get in the way of gamers who like to slaughter everything that moves... the equivalent of somewhere a little lower down the rung than a badly made cult B movie horror flick.

However it's rumored that some weirdos do enjoy a gameplay style that's a bit more nuanced (dare I say to the equivalent of a second or third rate Marvel movie, one can dream) where if you stop and think about what's going on your head doesn't completely implode at the silliness, which at times the BG games can be... if we work hard to ignore these kinds of huge gaping holes in the storytelling and game design.

It's an idea for a mod; you can certainly continue to play the unmodded game however you wish.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2018

You're describing precisely the symptom, the reason why it's hard to take these games as anything near a serious narrative, just an action packed lol xp/lootfest with a thin hint of a plot that tries not to get in the way of gamers like you.

However it's rumored that some weirdos do enjoy a gameplay style that's a bit more nuanced than Diabolo, which at times the BG games can be... if we work hard to ignore these kinds of huge gaping holes in the storytelling and game design.

I have never played Diablo, but nice try. No, I do not want to play side quests solely for the experience and loot, I want to play the side quests because I want to play the damn side quests because they’re fun and I’m willing to invoke suspension of disbelief to actually get more out of the game I’m playing.

It’s really telling how you automatically assume completionists are only interested in numbers. Your assumption is false. As an aspiring writer I love a good plot more than anything, but I’m also a completionist because I want to see everything a game has to offer, and the good side quests often build upon the world or the characters. That’s far more enjoyable for me than a plot that has to ‘make sense’.

Oh, also, even if urgency has its place in a narrative I still don’t agree with you. A good game invokes the feeling of urgency through proper pacing. A bad one forces it upon you with arbitrary restrictions that act as a detriment to the rest of the game.
    edited August 2018
    You do realize... with such a mod, you can be a completionist in a way that makes much better sense narratively?

I understand that you really don't care as long as you get to play your game the way you like, but does the above at least make sense? Can you understand why it might appeal to some people?

An aspiring writer... good god.... please don't turn out to be another Philp Athans

Post edited by ithildurnew on
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Guys... take it easy, it's only a videogame with a mod request, no need to argue and quarrel