Skip to content

How to play vanilla BG2:EE with BG:EET installed?

foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115
Hi, all!
So, just how can I do it?
I can still play vanilla BG1:EE and SoD OK, because it has separate shortcut, but not BG2:EE.
Its shortcut leads to BG:EET and its .exe does it either.
Please, help.

P.S. I know, that I can play all BG campaigns from BG:EET, I need access to vanilla BG2:EE due to save incompatibility.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115

By installing EET you have seeiously modded your BG2EE game. Best thing to do is:
    - move existing BG2EE/EET game to a different directory
    - install a fresh copy of BG2EE

You can play both separately, but they might use the same location for user data so quicksaves/autosaves/etc. might overwrite each other.

Thanks a lot, for the idea, but would you be so nice to be a little more specific as to your last sentence about being able to play both separately?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    You can run both BG2:EE and EET side by side just fine. EET uses a different location for saves, configuration and other user-defined resources. Just moving the EET installation to a new location should be enough. Afterwards you can reinstall a clean BG2:EE that doesn't interfere with your EET installation.

(For a more technical explanation, the user directory for saves, baldur.lua, portraits, etc. is defined by engine.lua that can be found in the installation folder of the game. It points to "Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" by default. EET uses "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy" instead.)
    argent77 said:

You can run both BG2:EE and EET side by side just fine. EET uses a different location for saves, configuration and other user-defined resources. Just moving the EET installation to a new location should be enough. Afterwards you can reinstall a clean BG2:EE that doesn't interfere with your EET installation.

(For a more technical explanation, the user directory for saves, baldur.lua, portraits, etc. is defined by engine.lua that can be found in the installation folder of the game. It points to "Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" by default. EET uses "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy" instead.)

@argent77 Please, correct me If I am wrong, but, do I get it right, that all I have to do is move my BG:EET install folder (NOT one with saves) from, say: "G:\Games\BG2:EE" to, say "G:\Games\BG:EET", and install fresh copy of vanilla BG:2:EE to its original folder: "G:\Games\BG2:EE" and everything should be fine, and I can play BOTH EET and vanilla BG2:EE?
    I am terribly sorry, If I am asking stupid questions about obvious things, but I think, that if I ask them and do everything right as a result is better than if I do not ask them and screw up. =)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Yes, simply rename or move the EET game installation folder. That should be all.
    @argent77 Thank you very much!