Skip to content

Off hand favored during dual wield

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited March 2013 in Fixed
Expected behavior: when dual wielding it would make sense that if there is an odd number of attacks per round then the primary hand weapon would get the greater number of attacks.
Current behavior:The off hand is currently getting the greater number of attacks when there is an odd number of attacks for that round.

For most of the game my dual wielding characters have had 5/2 attacks per round. When there are 3 attacks in a round the first one is a main hand attack and the last two are off hand attacks. It doesn't quite make sense this way.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Are you 100% sure? The off-hand weapon should only ever apply a single attack no matter how many attacks you can make. All the other should be made with the main-hand (except under IH which does add a 2nd off-hand attack if applicable).

Yeah I can't get it to do that. Testing with a character with 5/2 attacks, dual-wielding a +2 Longsword and Varscona +2 (off hand) on with -20 thac0 just to ensure hits, on another character with 10 AC and 1500 hp...it never applied more then a single off-hand attack with Varsona, without there being 2 non-varsona hits in between every other round.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've never noticed this, either. I dual-wielded with Varscona in the main hand through almost the entire game, and I got those +1 cold damage bursts on all but one attack per round. The offhand is never supposed to swing more than once per round, except when under improved haste (And maybe whirlwind? Either way, not relevant to BGEE).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited January 2013
    @ZanathKariashi It has been happening to all my dual wielding characters. The console displays the majority of attacks as "(off-hand)" attacks when showing the to hit rolls. Observe this screenshot and the console. This is my Kensai with 5/2 attacks per round. I gave him a flail +2 and warhammer +2, +1 electric damage. He is only proficient in flails and two weapon fighting with three ranks in each. Notice the differing bonus for the attack rolls reported and how it makes sense for his proficiency levels. I set it to auto pause at end of round so this should all be in one round.
    Hmm. Seems like I'm alone here... I think I'll attach my save file to see what people can make of it. What the heck; I'll send everyone both my dual wielders' save files. Hopefully then people can recreate this bug.
    edited January 2013
    Update: Odd. Every once in a blue moon The pattern changes from main/off/off to main/off/main. How strange. Here is another shot. This one has Minsc using Stupifyer and mace+2. He has 2 ranks in mace and two weapon fighting. I noticed this happened once in the above test with my kensai too.
    Update again: Now my kensai gained a level and has 3 attacks per round and for some reason it appears to be functioning as intended. Now I am miffed at this whole situation and have no idea what is going on...
  • morlamorla Member Posts: 2
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm experiencing the same behavior with a 6 F/6 M elf dual wielding scimitars (2 PIPs, 5/2 APR).
    This is the main pattern
    1st round
    Main
    Off
    Off
    2nd Round
    Main
    Off
    3rd Round
    Main
    Off
    Main
    4th Round
    Main
    Off
    and then back to the beginning.

Is there someone who knows if this behavior is correct?
    Thanks
    Bye
    edited July 2013
    Wait... *facepalm* Of course!

It all makes sense now. I never looked at the pattern over a series of 4 rounds like @morla did. If the pattern that @morla describes holds consistently over many rounds then the end result is that both hands get the same amount of use. That has to be the intended behavior. I think I will move this thread to not an issue because I believe it to be resolved.

Edit: Ok. Apparently only mods can move a discussion to not an issue. So I tag a mod like so: @Avenger_teambg
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Still doesn't seem right to me. The offhand is supposed to attack once per round regardless of how many half-APRs the wielder has. 5/2 APR while dual-wielding means 3/2 APR with the main hand and 1 APR with the offhand, not five attacks with each over four rounds. Something else is going on here.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Tresset If you edit a tag into your post, it won't send a notification.
  • morlamorla Member Posts: 2
    I installed BG2 to test its behavior (same char) and, although the overall pattern is even less predictable, there are never two off hand attacks in one round.
    I'm thinking this is how it's supposed to work, as Madhax said.

I can provide screens or saves, if someone wants to investigate further.
    Anyway it's not a big deal :)

Bye
    Morla
    Perhaps I was too hasty in making that conclusion (especially without doing my own tests). I rescind!

Also the hand reporting by the log is accurate in case you are wondering. I tested the damage output with my kensai's kai and two weapons with different max damage. I'm not sure how much further testing will help. It seems obvious that there is an issue here (and I certainly can't fix it).
    I just remembered that this was an issue. Now that I am a beta tester I can add it to the tracker myself!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Aha! @Troodon80‌ move this to fixed please! I knew that there was a topic about this!