Skip to content

All you need to do is sling, sling, sling...

GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
Once you get to Baldur's Gate, your back-line, sling-wielders will get an option with slings. The sling +1, which is +1 THAC0 and +1 damage, and the sling of unerring accuracy, which is +2 THAC0, with no damage adjustment. Later in the game, another better sling may be available, but at this point in the game, which would you prefer? A bit more accuracy? Or a bit more damage when you do hit?
  1. All you need to do is sling, sling, sling...65 votes
    1. Sling +1: I want to cause a slightly redder welt from the peanut gallery!
      21.54%
    2. Sling of Unerring Accuracy: I'm a terrible shot anyhow, I need all the help I can get!
      70.77%
    3. Sling of... oh, bother, I'd prefer to kvetch about the limited options in this Manichean duopoly!
        7.69%

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If I don't connect I don't do any damage. So when I have to choose, I tend to favor accuracy over damage.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I prefer Arla's: Dragonbane sling +3 (+3 damage and +3Thac0 also) :)!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    With only these two options, I prefer to hit more often. My sling user is usually Edwin, who has horrible strength and dex. Slighty more damage for the one in a million case he hits isn't helping anyone. Accuracy sling and fire bullets, which isn't as expensive as it sounds since he casts so much, he rarely needs to use the sling.
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    You can get a +1 version from Taerom in Beregost too.

Personally I love me some slings...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    As for me, +1 thac0 doesn't make a big difference on char that can already hit pretty well with its 19 DEX.
    On the other hand, +1 damage helps vs enemies with missile resistance.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Accuracy, please! For those characters who I want to give darts to, but who are oath-bound not to throw darts.

Hi, Viccy.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Slings are such undignifying weapons! Even Cespenar makes fun of you if you bring him one.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited April 2013
    Pecca said:

Slings are such undignifying weapons! Even Cespenar makes fun of you if you bring him one.

Sure, tell it to my sorcerer that crits 38-44 damage from range.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    just because of the ridiculous last poll :-)
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Depends on the character. Mostly I'd say Unerring Accuracy, since (in my games) its usually clerics or mages using the sling, who don't have much THAC0. If it's for Montaron however, who will basically hit anything with Bracers of Archery and his racial bonus, I'd go for the +1 damage.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Depends on the character. I give the plain +1 sling to Clerics, or anyone with a good dexterity bonus. But the Sling of Unerring Accuracy goes to a Mage, especially a Mage with a lousy dexterity!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I vote accuracy over slight damage bonus - the damage doesn't matter if you can't hit.

This discussion is making me think of the story of David and Goliath. :)
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Are daggers, quarter staves ever a better option for a Mage than a sling? I always use slings (except in Xan's case).
    The Wizard Staff @Pecca posted is THE option for mages. Quarterstaff prof ranged and melee weapon - not the biggest damage ever, but damn, it looks stylish.

The Wizard Staff @Pecca posted is THE option for mages. Quarterstaff prof ranged and melee weapon - not the biggest damage ever, but damn, it looks stylish.

Exactly. With mages, it's all about style. Imagine a mighty wizard in a fancy robe of archimagi and all sorts of cool magic trinkets and wands, and wielding a SLING! That's just not right.
    Paladin said:

Are daggers, quarter staves ever a better option for a Mage than a sling? I always use slings (except in Xan's case).

From a pure function perspective sling or dart are best for a mage (dart has a better ROF, but shorter range). But obviously, some don't like that as an image.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    The sling just keeps the mages from trying to hit stuff with there staff.
    Pecca said:

Exactly. With mages, it's all about style. Imagine a mighty wizard in a fancy robe of archimagi and all sorts of cool magic trinkets and wands, and wielding a SLING! That's just not right.
    @Pecca: Any chance you could make other color versions, to represent different schools? (Just the visual, same function/prof/all.)

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Pecca said:

Sure, tell it to my sorcerer that crits 38-44 damage from range.
    *Doesn't care about your powergaming ever since the Moonblade argument*
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The trouble with making the stylish decision of carrying a staff with your mage, is that you will have a very practical inconvenience through the whole game - the mage can't actually melee with that staff, so, you will have to seperate out him or her from your party and go someplace isolated while waiting for the important moments where magic is needed.

It's the same thing as skalds and keeping their bardsong bonuses reliably and consistently active.

That means, no easy select all and attack for all the myriad battles with creatures that can be easily handled by your melee team.

It's simply a matter of convenience that every mage needs to have a ranged weapon. I really wish that the 3rd edition use of crossbows for mages were possible in BG, but, alas, the choices are sling, darts, or thrown daggers (expensive, hard to find, and heavy).

I usually go for the darts, imagining that I am throwing minor magical projectiles out of my hands that I can throw almost indefinitely, like a cantrip for 1-3 damage, or else, I imagine that that sling graphic is my wand - it hangs down straight, and looks like a wand if you squint your eyes a bit and imagine it held out horizontally instead of hanging down vertically.

In between your major casts, it just gives you a little non-mana-draining 1-6 damage magical projectile that you can cast for little effort in between the BIG spells.

edited April 2013
    @KidCarnival: I'm not sure what you ask for, but generally color of the staff animation is not the issue. One issue is with that staff's icons, as there are only several and those have only pink, yellow and grey "energy part", so making other colors then those would be inconsistent with staff's icons. The greater issue however is with projectile animation as the magic missile animation is in only one color and other projectile animations do not fit very well (suggesting that the projectile animation should be consistent with the energy part color of the staff).

Although I could make some kind of a fire staff, as there are icons with yellow energy part and also nice magic fire projectile animations. Or using the icon with grey energy part I could make some maybe necromantic staff with projectile animation of some spell like Larloch's minor drain or some other spell animation.

Off course, ignoring colors of those icons and being ok with any projectile animation (arrows have a lot of colors for example), I could add a lot of different colored staffs, I think.
    @Pecca - will pm details, generally I just mean a different color on the paperdoll (the pinkish part),
    BTW, love seeing a Benny Goodman song used as a joke for a thread title. THAT actually makes me feel young!
  • GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
    @atcDave: I'm a big fan of swing dancing: one of my all time favorite songs!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Hitting more often is always better way to go for me. Mostly my sling users are horrible THAC0, so they will net out more damage by actually hitting than missing harder.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I have to go with accuracy (like everyone else apparently did) for this one :D
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Pecca said:

Pfffft. One of my favourite characters is a CE Halfling Fighter with GM in Slings. Run around destroying everything with small pebbles.
    Something foul in play here. A mass necromancy!
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

The trouble with making the stylish decision of carrying a staff with your mage, is that you will have a very practical inconvenience through the whole game - the mage can't actually melee with that staff, so, you will have to seperate out him or her from your party and go someplace isolated while waiting for the important moments where magic is needed.

Pretty much. Not giving a mage a ranged weapon just requires too much unnecessary micromanagement.