Skip to content

Fast, (relatively) easy quest XP to hog before expanding your party

I'm keeping a lookout for things I can do with just me and Imoen before I start recruiting. So far I have found:

Friendly Arm Inn:
Joia's Flamedance Ring
Unshey's girdle stolen by the ogre

Beregost:
Lady Mirianne awaits news of her husband
Talking down Marl in Feldepost's Inn (900 xp just for dialogue)
Silke bodyguard quest
Getting the book for Firebead Elvenhair

Landrin's house with the spiders it too tough, I think, unless you're wearing plate mail with a shield and have some antidotes.

JuliusBorisov

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you're immune to poison you could prolly do Landrin's house just the two of you since you could chug potiosn of healign instead of antidotes if necessary.
    [Deleted User]
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    This will level you hard (supercheesy)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14152/ankheg-help
    Xrystofer
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Basilisks. One map East of the Beregost Temple.
    CaptRoryJuliusBorisov
    lunar said:

a really good way to get a couple of good levels early on

This, this, this! Especially good if you've got a triple-classed character on a solo run, or something, and want as much of an edge over the rest of the game as is demi-humanly possible.
    lunar[Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There're already good recommendations here! I'd like to add that without problems you can return the amulet to the family in Beregost (a house next to this old man from Candle keep) - it can be found on the road to Nashkel. Also you can talk to No over in Nashkel and then wait for about 10 real minutes to answer his rediculous comments. Moreover you can kill a hobgoblin to the south of Beregost to get the Boots of HiS and MS - if you wish you can return them to the thief in Beregost (another pair of them is on the Ulcaster map). Also you can help to protect a farmer's cow from xhvarts.
    bengoshi said:

Also you can help to protect a farmer's cow from xhvarts.

Ya, that's in the map south of Ulcaster.
    Also on the note of xvarts, there's a "merchant" named Borda who will drop 900 Experience if you can get him to hold still. He's also got a short sword +1 and some scrolls.
    Make sure that the first time you get to the road to Nashkel, you grab the amulet! It's a ground item, and it'll despawn if not picked up fast-like.
    [Deleted User]Eudaemonium
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    another pair of (a bit cheesy) quests to do on low levels :
    - Colquetle's family amulet, found 2 areas beneath Beregost->Nashkel can be given back to a guy in a house north of the house you find Firebead Elvenhair in.
    - Melicamp the chicken quest - south from High Hedge. Quite easy to do. (only some annoying skeletons in - girdle of piercing (+AC vs arrows from the ogre under FAI) helps).
    - half-ogres in the north part of Drizzt's map are easy to kite and Bjornin in Beregost will give you a shield and exp for killing them.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    PugPug said:

I'm keeping a lookout for things I can do with just me and Imoen before I start recruiting. So far I have found:

Recruit first, then level up. NPC's usually get bad hit dice rolls and stupid proficiency picks if you get them later on. If you want to level your PC fast, just kick the NPCs out of the party before turning in a quest reward and add them back in right after.

Otherwise you can:
    Kill Firebead after giving him the book for 2700 xp and a reputation loss.
    Do the Fishermen and the Priestess quest in the Ankheg area for an easy 2500 xp.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    depending on your class the basalisks and sirines can be very easy to beat and yield alot of experiance

if u can get there the quest with the beserk guard captain from naskel is very easy xp seeing as you can finish it with only dialogue and on top of that you get some pretty valuable loot for early in the game
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Mulahey or whatever his name is isn't too hard. You can use dialogue to get rid of all his undead family. You get 5,000gp for turning in his holy symbol and a nice magic warhammer off his corpse.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Just kill Shoal for the lo-lo price of one sleep spell or a few arrows and you get 5k XP... just enough to do Melicamp and the basilisks safely for a total of, what, 35k XP? My inner Soloist likey, he likey lots!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    luskan said:

PugPug said:

Recruit first, then level up. NPC's usually get bad hit dice rolls and stupid proficiency picks if you get them later on. If you want to level your PC fast, just kick the NPCs out of the party before turning in a quest reward and add them back in right after.

Otherwise you can:
    Kill Firebead after giving him the book for 2700 xp and a reputation loss.
    Do the Fishermen and the Priestess quest in the Ankheg area for an easy 2500 xp.
    If you play on core rules the HP doesn't matter. Unless you reload for better rolls, I guess.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    luskan said:

Recruit first, then level up. NPC's usually get bad hit dice rolls and stupid proficiency picks if you get them later on.

You can also plan around this. NPCs will be recruited at level 2, 4, or 6, depending on your experience total. So if you are playing a wizard (mage/sorcerer) and recruit a rogue (thief/bard), the rogue may be higher level than you.

Recruit them before they would be level 4, and they will still be level 2. No proficiency or thieving points wasted. None that you could prevent by rushing to them, anyway.

Wizards actually don't get a second proficiency point until level 6, so you could wait longer for them.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    lunar said:

I personally find Ankhegs too tedious and dangerous. Their attacks are so damaging and very hard to avoid. If you have a scroll of acid protection, and good AC vs missiles, plus sleep and command spells plenty, you can take them. Send a big tank with plate mail, large shield, shield&weapon style, equipped with girdle of piercing, to tank the ankhegs and rest of your characters should fire ranged weaponry at the oversized cockroach. But there is no guarantee you won't suffer any casualties, they almost always manage to kill at least one of my characters. In the ankheg caves, abuse the shadows. A thief or stalker should hide in shadows, go with a tank to an ankheg. Ankheg will target the tank, and your tank moves to engage it, while your thief/stalker quickly goes behind the critter, still invisible, and gets a backstab attack with +8 to hit. (+4 from hide in shadows, +4 for ankheg having ranged weapon eqipped)

I love killing Ankhegs on my BGT install, but they are mean little bastards. They seem to have a double-hit with the acid missile attack. What I do, is pick up either Branwen from the carnival, or Viconia from the edge of the screen east of the F.A.I.

Then, I cast the level one spell Command on the Ankhegs. They don't EVER seem to resist it for some reason, and it gives me a round or so to wail on them. I think because they are unconscious, it gives an extra -4 AC (or +4 THAC0) to the Ankheg (attacker).

That's huge at the beginning! It also adds an extra chance on top of the Stealth and missile weapon equipped bonuses! (I didn't know the acid missile counted, huh...)

So, command them for a second and when they are on the ground peacefully chittering away in a blissful insect-dream... Find a weak spot in the chitin and stab that abdomen!

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @Ascerion

Their spits seem to hit twice, as it allows a save vs death for half damage.

So if you fail the save, you'll see
    Ankheg did 9 damage to Viconia
    Ankheg did 10 damage to Viconia

If the save is passed:
    Ankheg did 9 damage to Viconia
    Viconia-save vs death:16 (this is displayed instead of the second hit of the spit, so the damage is halved.)

Ankhegs have a mean melee attack too, that does good pyshical damage plus a few points of acid damage. (no save) So you'll see that attack as two hits too.

Most spells that allow a save for half damage work that way. So if you are hit by a fireball for 10d6, you will see:
    Xzar did 13 damage to Edwin (this is 5d6 damage, first half of the spell)
    Xzar did 12 damage to Edwin (this is the next 5d6 damage, second half, Edwin failed the save and suffered this)

or
    Xzar did 13 damage to Edwin
    Edwin-save vs spells:18 (Edwin rolled a save vs spells and avoided the second half of the fireball dmg)

Command causes ankhegs to fall uncouncious, similar to sleep spell. When an enemy is uncouncious, asleep, held, paralysed, or stunned, you don't roll to hit. All hits are automatic. So you can kill such a disabled foe very quickly. Even a mage with 25 THAC0 with darts will hit with all of his darts, doing 3d3 damage/round if the foe is disabled. This is also another reason, if your character is held, stunned, etc. he is pretty much dead, as even xvarts can kill him very quickly.
    JuliusBorisovEudaemoniumSouthpawsemiticgoddess