Skip to content

What Happens when a limb is severed in the Infinity Engine?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
I was researching Cragmyr Keep (a day's ride south of Beregost) Source: "Elminster's Notebook: Lord Kuldak Maurancz" in Dragon #200) http://annarchive.com/files/Drmg200.pdf [Page 144 or 146]

Well I spotted a sword of sharpness within the Keep's Dungeons and for all who don't know this: a sword of sharpness is like a minor Vorpal sword that can sever limbs but not heads on a critical hit.

So what happens and how is it handled In-Engine if I chop your arm off in Baldur's Gate?
Hey @elminster You wrote the notebook so could you weigh in on this? (" ͡° ' ͜ʖ ͡° ')

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Engine limitations prevent something like this from happening.

The closest you get is the chunking animation making it impossible for the character to be raised.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    So I could put an explode target on critical hit if below 30 hits points or something on the sword if the character rolls a natural 20 or something? What do you think should happen? Also I am researching Entar Silvershield's Sentient Sword...

What do think of this flawed concept?: 5% chance (As in like 1 in 20 is basically 5%) on hit to explode the target if it has below 30 or 15 hit dice / points remaining (temporary or not) with a -4 (or something) vs save verses death or succumb to an awestriking explosion of gore 'gibblets'?

What do you think of this?
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Sounds fun. Would be great if it also has a 1% chance of gibbing the user each hit too
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015

Sounds fun. Would be great if it also has a 1% chance of gibbing the user each hit too

Make it CHARNAME usable only, then everyone would use it in hardcore runs (" ͡° ' ͜ʖ ͡° ')

Maybe it is Cursed? BRILLIANT! The Cursed Sword of Spontaneous Explosions!

Also have its Identified description be of a +5 Long Sword of Sharpness and have its Unidentified description be of a the actual sword! *Because no reads the unidentified descriptions!*

Thank you so much @jesterdesu You have made my day, hey do you want to be an 'unprecedented' Easter egg?

*Just Picture it: Player finds the sword: "WOW THIS SWORD IS A HOSS!!:D" *BOOM BOOM BOOM* *CHARNAME went BOOM!* Player=D:* Although it would be over powered for everyone could just gamble and reload if they loss so.. >.>? Maybe the sword just blows the wielder (CHARNAME) up after the first kill? Maybe its description reads "Special: On successful hit has a 5% [100% 'unlisted' chance against CHARNAME ^.^] Chance to Explode Creature in Combat with no saving throw"?
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    And maybe Cespner can upgrade it for better stats but also gives it a 'wild swing' effect which extends the 'chance to chunk' to party members within proximity.

:D
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53

*Just Picture it: Player finds the sword: "WOW THIS SWORD IS A HOSS!!:D" *BOOM BOOM BOOM* *CHARNAME went BOOM!* Player=D:* Although it would be over powered for everyone could just gamble and reload if they loss so.. >.>? Maybe the sword just blows the wielder (CHARNAME) up after the first kill? Maybe its description reads "Special: On successful hit has a 5% [100% 'unlisted' chance against CHARNAME ^.^] Chance to Explode Creature in Combat with no saving throw"?

You have a sick mind! I like it :smiley: